finally....getting along with others....!!

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
this has been a very long process for my Safari.

the sweetest bird, but will seek and destroy any other bird that came close.

for over 4 months I have been working with Safari when my other birds are out.

every time she would give chase or lung at them, I would give her a firm NO!

one day she would not stop, and I finally got angry and said to Safari, "YOU WILL HAVE NO FRIENDS IF YOU KEEP THIS UP!"

I know that sounds silly, and she really can't understand what I said, but I know she got the tone of my voice.

about a week later, I noticed she was different when the other birds were out.
calmer, more relaxed, I think she finally processed that they were not going to hurt her.

It made me almost sad to see her out of her cage all alone.

...but finally she has all the birds out and she is out too!...she still lunges at the lovebirds, but doesn't mind my conures or cockatiels.

In the picture that I have provided, the two are her 'closest companions'...and
I couldn't be happier for Safari:D:D

IMG_2327_zps3e5f3931.jpg Photo by bmckellar735 | Photobucket

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
What a sweet photo! :)

Safari decided that company isn't so bad after all. ;) You must be SO happy about that!!!

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
It is good to be flock leader! I have a Lovebird that is the same way. When I raise my voice, he behaves (relatively) for a while. He dive bombs the other birds, and bites their feet if they go on his cage. So, he gets out of cage time after all the others. Except my cockatiel, who he loves, and follows like a pesty little brother. But, because he won't leave her alone, she gets out with the others, and stays out with the lovebird also. So she has time to herself before I "unleash the beast".

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
It is good to be flock leader! I have a Lovebird that is the same way. When I raise my voice, he behaves (relatively) for a while. He dive bombs the other birds, and bites their feet if they go on his cage. So, he gets out of cage time after all the others. Except my cockatiel, who he loves, and follows like a pesty little brother. But, because he won't leave her alone, she gets out with the others, and stays out with the lovebird also. So she has time to herself before I "unleash the beast".

ha ha, I know exactly what you mean....if they all just got along.
my lovebirds do the same, won't allow any bird on their cage, and seem to have rights to the other birds feet, ouch!:eek:

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
What a sweet photo! :)

Safari decided that company isn't so bad after all. ;) You must be SO happy about that!!!

yes I am, now if she just listened to me in the beginning.....:p

but hey, it's a learning process for all of us. I guess I can't complain, I have lovebirds, cockatiels, conures, and a senegal mix here, and they all get along for the most part, no blood shed ever, maybe a nip here and there, but that is to be expected.
Only Safari and Ninja I have to keep separated, they would just kill each other, but I can live with it.

Nocturnal

May 15, 2013
A secret place
Parrots
||Mika, 23 yo senegal parrot||Cayenne, 5 yo sun conure||Katana, 6 yo cockatiel||Monk, 4 yo peachfaced lovie||Onyx, 8 yo BH caique||Pluto & Neptune, 4 yo budgies||Tauntaun, 17 yo U2||
That's so cute; I wish my birds could be out together. Mika (also a Senegal) doesn't like other birds and Cayenne is aggressive with all other birds except for Katana (a cockatiel that he was let out with constantly when he was a baby). So, basically, Katana and Cayenne can be out together or Katana and Monk (lovebird), but no one else. Mika and Cayenne can be out near each other but if they can reach eachother they will go after eachother and I really don't want to risk them getting hurt :(

I have not tried having onyx out with other birds but considering my birds' attitudes towards each other and the fact that she is a caique I don't think it is wise.

And it's out of the question to have Tauntaun out with anyone--- he is just too big and dangerous for little birds.

Last edited:
OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
That's so cute; I wish my birds could be out together. Mika (also a Senegal) doesn't like other birds and Cayenne is aggressive with all other birds except for Katana (a cockatiel that he was let out with constantly when he was a baby). So, basically, Katana and Cayenne can be out together or Katana and Monk (lovebird), but no one else. Mika and Cayenne can be out near each other but if they can reach eachother they will go after eachother and I really don't want to risk them getting hurt :(

I have not tried having onyx out with other birds but considering my birds' attitudes towards each other and the fact that she is a caique I don't think it is wise.

And it's out of the question to have Tauntaun out with anyone--- he is just too big and dangerous for little birds.

wow, you have a real mix there!...I think as long as one bird has a companion that is ok. not all birds will get along, just like some people just don't get along with some people.
being selective with certain birds so they can coincide together is very important, not only for their well being but also for their safety.
funny you should mention your lovebird and a cockatiel. my lovebird LOVES my cockatiel, they were raised together at 2.5 weeks of age, and are very bonded...it's really quite cute

Most Reactions