Finally getting to introduce myself.. sorry if its to long

brandi

Dec 19, 2009
Kentucky
Parrots
Mealy Amazon (Female-4 years old)
I already posted once before getting here but i was rushed and didnt have time to stop here first.

My name is Brandi, I have a 4 year old Mealy Amazon named Mauie she calls herself Mau Mau (trying to spell that sorry if you dont understand what im trying to say is her nick name)

We have had her a year in Feb. I wasnt looking for a parrot when I found her and to be honest I had only ever owned a cockateil (sorry again if i misspelled) but i was just browsing our local classifieds and found a parrot in desperate need. I called her owners to find out they had purchased her and she wasnt working out for them.. and they had found another bird that was more friendly and was also planning to add a macaw. I was " Ify " about it but i went to meet her.

when i got there i learned more about her.. she didnt like women and she had been plucking she was in a rusted VERY OLD falling apart cage with one toy.. she had been seen by a vet and sexed to be female and the owners were told she needed vit C BADLY so instead of giving her vit's they gave her mac and cheese and beer.. :eek:

I fell in love with her and i wanted her out of that situation regardless so for as little as 300 dollars I found the love of my life (sorry to my hubby ;)

now ive had her a year and guess what? SHE LIKES WOMEN :D
she can talk well now and she steps up and she will let us handle her I havent been bit but once and that was a week after getting her home she was cage bound and i had to move her out of the rust bucket she called home into her new condo home..
but she was cage bound for months and months and FINALLY one day i was giving her food and she stepped up and out with me.. and of course i fell in love all over again. she now calls me by name and calls my hubby by name as well. we still have A LOT of work to do and i of course will be posting again soon with what im needing advise on. nothing major of course

within the last few months she has began letting us touch every part of her body.. she will raise her wing and let us pet under there, pet her mouth, nose, feet, even her "bottom" she clucks like a chicken and laughs when we pet her down her back ( i think it tickles maybe :confused:)

she is however still on a seed/fresh veggie diet.. ive been trying the pellets for a year with no luck at all.. and FINALLY got her into fresh veggies/fruits 6 months ago THAT TOOK WORK

anyhow.. thats a bit about us if you need to know more just ask.. ive added a few pic's of her on my profile and ill add more as soon as i can take some.

i look forward to the forum and everyone here.. you were all so helpful through our power outage the last few days.

THANKS AGAIN TO THOSE WHO HELPED ME OUT:21:

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Welcome, Good thing you got her out of there. I've heard too many stories like that but I'm still not sure I could take it; if I saw someone keeping a bird like that I'm pretty sure I'd end up in jail for what I'd do to them...

Good to here she's found a good home now. She does look happy and healthy, though as you note if you can get her from seeds to pellets she will probably be better off. Perhaps this will be another thread, but the key to the switch usually ends up being a bit of tough love - a kid will not eat their veggies if they know they'll always be served their fill of chocolate cake anyways.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Mau Mau is such a cutie, love the pic's. She looks happy, healthy and content. :D
Not only is she lucky to be given a second chance, what a deserving mother she has inherited. Oh yeah, lets not forget the Hubby LoL :eek:
Mau Mau is gaining more confidence and your trust, not many birds will let you touch them, let alone tickle them ( I had a good laugh, must have been hilarious to see and hear.
Mishka would not eat veggies, from an early age. I tried and tried.
Eventually, I sat near her One for you One for me.
After a few days, she started eating them on her own, except for carrots.
When given carrots she throws them out the cage. What a job to clean up BUT I would not change her for the world.
Try one for you one for me with the pellets if you are brave enough :eek:
I would try anything !!!
I give her fresh fruit and veggies daily.
Happy parenting enjoy it
Take care

OP
brandi

brandi

Dec 19, 2009
Kentucky
Parrots
well we ran out of seed today and i went to buy more and i just couldnt do it.. i saw a bag of exact pellet food, it looks very colorful and she is eating it just fine. she LOVES fruits and some veggies.. i still have a lot of work to do with her but to me being able to touch her everywhere is just beyond amazing to me.

she laughs every time now.. she loves it when i start at her head and pet all down her body and when i pretend to pull her tail feathers she clucks her "chicken" cluck.
she still will nip at us if something scares her but i love to just pet her and pet her.. and today she let me take her wings in my hand and move them out.. THAT WAS A FIRST

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Brandi your persistence, love and devotion is definitely paying off. :D
YOU ARE DOING A FANTASTIC JOB !!!!
Lots of love, attention and interaction, makes the bonding so much stronger.
Have you tried bathing Mau Mau in the bath?
At first place her in the bath, with no water, then let the water start running slowly.
Play with the water, saying water water water. If she reacts scared, don't attempt to wet her at all.
Another day perhaps, run a little luck water in the bath, placing her in it.
Splashing it around her softly. She might just surprise you.
When bathing Mishka I put her in the far side of the bath, running the shower attachment, she RUNS straight under the spraying water.
I tell her mommy cleaning Mishka, lift your wings for mommy, she lets me lift them and clean under the wings.
The hard times comes when I must take her out...... she runs around the bath, and skates and ski's..... playing for time. It's so cute to see. She loves her bathies.
I then wrap her in a towel, and give her lots of cuddles and kisses.
If the weather is chilly I blow dry her, she loves being pampered.
Otherwise outside on the balcony, in a smaller cage she cleans and dries naturally.
Take care

OP
brandi

brandi

Dec 19, 2009
Kentucky
Parrots
not in the shower NO
i want to but she is still just way to scared of anything new.. however last summer i took her outside when it was REALLY warm out and i was cleaning the porch and she was interested so i held it up and made a misty rain and she LOVED IT.. she will bath herself in her own water but so far she's just way to scared to try the shower. and im scared that if i frighten her it will set her back with me. and with it being winter this old house is to drafty to get her wet now. so ill just stick with the summer showers outside:)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I agree with you, not in the shower yet anyway.
At least she is bathing herself, outside shower's are great and fun.
Have a lovely day
:)

OP
brandi

brandi

Dec 19, 2009
Kentucky
Parrots
thanks.
i posted a new thread in the amazon section.. you should check it out and see my very first road block with mauie
im lost on this one with her

dakisgirls

Sep 10, 2009
U.S.
Parrots
I have a blue and gold macaw along with an indian ringneck parakeet.
So great of you to be rescuing from circumstances like that.... Macaroni & beer? Really?

OP
brandi

brandi

Dec 19, 2009
Kentucky
Parrots
yep mac and cheese to give her vit C and a little dab of beer to shut her up.. thats exactly word for word what i was told the day i met her.

Most Reactions

Latest posts