Finally! I got a Sun Conure

MollytheAfricanGrey

Aug 24, 2014
Michigan
Parrots
1 Sun Conure
Sorry I haven't been online for a while. I was looking for a parrot. I found a 1 year old male Sun Conure and bought it. I need help taming him. How can I tame him?

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
That probably depends on how not tame he is now. Are you sure on his age? Has he been handled at all?

OP
M

MollytheAfricanGrey

Aug 24, 2014
Michigan
Parrots
1 Sun Conure
The breeder I bought it from said he is a year old. He also said he was tame but when I got the parrot, he tried to bite me. When i put food on my hand he eats it off my hand. When i try to pick him up he bites me. I let his cage open from the door and on top of the cage. When he gets on top of the cage he climbs on my finger when I stick it in front of him. Then he gets off my finger and goes in his cage and tries to bite me when I stick my finger next to him.

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
Hmm, sounds about normal for a bird in a new environment. When they get to a new place they usually need some time to settle in and decide what they think about the changes in their life and the new people they've met.

Don't push things for now -- take it slow. Sit near him and offer him treats (through the bars if that is the only way he'll take them without biting you, or through the open door of the cage if he doesn't mind it).

Leave the cage door if you're feeling like holding him, and let him choose to come out. If he steps up after that, tell him he's a good boy and give him another treat. When he is looking like he's had enough attention, let him go back.

Let us know how things are going in a week and we can give you some more focused advice once he's had a chance to settle in, okay?

And get us some pictures of your pretty new bird!

OP
M

MollytheAfricanGrey

Aug 24, 2014
Michigan
Parrots
1 Sun Conure
Named him Mango. It looks like he only gots one leg lol.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 138

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
He's adorable! Cute name :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts