Finally received Safaris' test results

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
After 2.5 months of waiting Safaris' test results finally came back.

Evan contacted me today, and said it was Zinc that was the culprit. they did more extensive testing on Safaris' liver and they did not find high levels of Zinc in it.....so what does this mean?
this is what Evan wrote:

On another note, they were very quick with Safari's testing and the metal came back as zinc. Based on that, they suspect that this is the cause of death. They are having a difficult time trying to explain why the liver zinc levels were not high as would expect, but zinc generally does not accumulate in tissues to the same degree as lead would, which may account to the lower liver levels.

At any rate, at least we can finally have some closure on this unfortunate situation.

regards,
Evan

so now I know, Zinc.

To this day I still don't know for sure where he got the metal fragments from, I can only guess.

Regardless, this has been incredibly hard. I'm sitting here balling, it's just resurfaced everything all over again, missing him terribly.not a day goes by when I don't think of him.

just today, I was hanging a polly perch toy in my conure cage, and it started swinging sideways, not back and forth. I burst out laughing remembering that Safari would spend hours on that swing, swinging sideways, swaying as hard as he could, he was too funny.

Safari was no ordinary Senegal, and hopefully one day I can get another one, but it will never measure up to him, the bar was way too high.

Beth

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Awww, Beth, today must have been so very hard for you. I am glad you have some sort of closure.
And what happened with that swing today shows you that Safari isn't really gone - as long as he is in your heart and mind, he is still with you:)

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
yes I know he is, I just wish he was here, you know?

I found this link by chance, and it's got some very good info on what toys are made from, what to look for etc....

It's REALLY LONG, but has some GREAT info on where to buy safe toys, stores to shop at etc....it's a tad bit outdated from 2006, so some info may not be current, but I breezed thru it in about 5 minutes, and gave me some good insight on what toys are made from.

Testing for Zinc in Parrot Toys

kendrafitz

Jul 14, 2012
Central NJ
Parrots
Rosie the Green Winged Macaw
I'm so sorry that it brought everything back to the surface Beth. I'm sure it is good to know why though.

Just remember you gave Safari a wonderful, loving home filled with joy. Safari was just as lucky to have you as you were to have him. He knows how much you loved him. I hope things get better for you soon.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
thankyou Kendra, what you said made sense.

It's really caught me a bit off guard, crying again.
I honestly thought I was through all of it.

the good thing is now I can put all of this behind me, and move on to the next bird of choice ;)

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Poor Beth! I'm so sorry for your pain! Y'know, this is the way loss affects us: we grieve hard for a while and then begin to move on; every now and then, a sweet sharp memory catches us unawares and brings the tears; eventually, the memories are more sweet and less sharp; acceptance comes and the pain lessens - but - it all takes Time.

I can tell a lot of your sorrow comes from not being all-knowing and averting Safari's death but you really have to forgive yourself for something you could never have foreseen! All we can do is provide the best we know how for our birds. Beyond that, their little lives are truly their own and they do things without warning and often without rhyme or reason. Be thankful that you had Safari at all and honour his memory by being vigilant (as you already are) with your other birds' care.

It's hard, I know... Sending hugs {{{{Beth}}}} and warmest comforting thoughts. XX

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
Oh I am so sorry at least all this waiting is over now :( hugs to you!!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Oh I'm so sorry Beth....I'm sorry the results mske you grief again. I hope everything will go better for you from now on.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I totally understand about being broadsided with the reminder of Safari's death and the memory surging forth like it just happened. I am so sorry you are reliving the awful day you lost your little friend. I am sending you warm hugs from Minnesota where the high is below zero.

Just yesterday Valentino did something that was a pure Diego behavior and my heart ached for my Illiger's macaw. Diego died from a stroke in June 2011 and I have never fully recovered from that horrible day. It was so unexpected. He was fine then he collapsed not even 45 mins later he was dead. Dr. Blair used heroic measures to save him but Diego didn't make it. The whole ordeal was just so shocking I screamed and had a very bad asthma attack.

My heart aches with you Beth. I believe that time will heal but I can never forget my Diego, Mihijo and Joaquin. They still live though my memories, the scrapbooks I made of their pictures and feathers, their shrine with the cremated remains and clay talon prints, I kept their favorite toys and their harnesses. I can never forget my boys. I know in time as the pain is not so raw you will be able to remember Safari fondly with memories that warm your heart.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Beth, I'm so very sorry. I've read your posts about Safari before I even was signed up as a member.

I believe I know just what you mean about how no other bird would ever be like Safari, the bar was too high. I've had beloved birds pass away before, and though I loved them enough to be completely devastated (and for a long time), none were quite AS beloved (and perfect of a bird) as my now 19 yr old RB Robin.
I cannot even comprehend what it will be like when that dreaded day comes for me. Although I'm sure we love ALL our birds, SOMETIMES a rare and special friend comes along... One who is just a little more special than all the others before and after them. I understand. Take care...

Most Reactions

Latest posts