Finn is home :)

Bright Star

May 28, 2011
Colorado
Parrots
Keats (budgie) born Feb. 18, 2011, and Raphael (budgie) adopted July 3, 2011. Finn, a Brown-Head Poicephalus, born January 4, 2010, has also joined the family!
Finn joined us, officially, on Saturday, Sept. 10th. Yesterday he had his New Bird/Well Bird exam and they were quite impressed with him. He stepped up for the doctor and let him take his picture, then went quietly back into his carrier. When I got him home, he was a little nervous on his first step up and flew away, but then stepped up again right away and let me carry him to the door of his luxury, high-rise condo :)

Such a good bird!

The aviary has a 3-hour training you must go through before taking your bird home, and in that training I learned that he can say 'Hi' and 'Step up.' He will also say 'Come 'ere.' I didn't even ask about talking, as it's not of prime importance to me, but I like the idea of him talking. The first word he may learn here is 'Whoops!' cause I find I say that a lot - when I trip over things, drop things, etc. I suppose that's better than some of the other options ;)

It was like Christmas Eve last Friday, waiting to pick him up, and Christmas morning on Saturday. I love him so much already.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Woo! Welcome home Finn! I love the idea of the little training session before you take him home! Glad he's healthy and well, I'm sure you'll all do great together ;)

upcgirl

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Parrots
Max--Senegal

RIP Ricco--Mexican Red Head Amazon
Welcome Home, Finn!!!

When I brought Max home, I was told Max couldn't speak. However, I said "pretty bird" to Max a few times, and as my boyfriend walked through the door, she piped "Pretty bird" to him. LOL

OP
Bright Star

Bright Star

May 28, 2011
Colorado
Parrots
Keats (budgie) born Feb. 18, 2011, and Raphael (budgie) adopted July 3, 2011. Finn, a Brown-Head Poicephalus, born January 4, 2010, has also joined the family!
I knew everyone would ask for pics, so here goes...

DSC00461.jpg

DSC00453.jpg

DSC00475.jpg

mele

Jul 26, 2011
California
Parrots
Lotty- Umbrella Cockatoo,
Scarlet- Scarlet Macaw,
Paco- Lilac Amazon, Josh-blue front amazon
What a beautiful baby :)
Congtats!!!!!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Congrats on bringing Finn home! Finn is very cute!!! :)

upcgirl

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Parrots
Max--Senegal

RIP Ricco--Mexican Red Head Amazon
Awww Finn is adorable :) Hope you all are adjusting okay :)

OP
Bright Star

Bright Star

May 28, 2011
Colorado
Parrots
Awww Finn is adorable :) Hope you all are adjusting okay :)

Thank you :) I think things are going well, but I'm watching carefully for any signs that they're not. He's still somewhat fearful but will take food from my hand and step up MOST of the time. I'm a patient parront; I hope he realizes that.

OP
Bright Star

Bright Star

May 28, 2011
Colorado
Parrots
The aviary has a 3-hour training you must go through before taking your bird home

Awesome idea, not only showing you are getting a great bird but that he is going to be looked after

Clint
australianaviculture

I think so, too! The aviary has a true commitment to their birds. It's one of the things that made me sure Finn was the right bird for me :) They gave me handouts with information on the proper fresh food to feed and how much, handouts on the care of Pois specifically, and an anatomy lesson, toweling practice, and basic first aid tips. All of that, and more, impressed me.

Most Reactions

Latest posts