First Cage for newly adopted Eleonora 'Too

TonyCagg

Jun 30, 2011
Upstate New York
Parrots
Nic Nic..."World's Quietest" Eleonora Cockatoo
I will be adopting my cockatoo next Saturday and am getting a new AE Cage for him.

It is a 40x32x74 Victorian cage with opening top.

I am sure it is sufficient size for him, but does anyone have any suggestions as to additional items I should purchase to help keep him happy and help keep things as clean as possible?

Thanks...

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Several different perches of different size and type. I have wood ones, rope, concrete, etc. Lots of toys so you can rotate them once in a while for variety. As for helping with the mess, does the cage have guards around it? Those help a ton! :)

OP
TonyCagg

TonyCagg

Jun 30, 2011
Upstate New York
Parrots
The cage has guards on the bottom.

We are going to make a trp to Bird Paradise Friday for a shopping spree and I plan on getting a number of different perches in different sizes.

The plan is to let my kids help shop for toys and make sure there are plenty to choose from, swapping them out to keep things fresh once in a while.

Also going to try a couple of the foraging toys...looks like they should help keep his attention as well.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Sounds great! He will be spoiled before you even get him! :)

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
The best thing I have found for cleaning is just straight white vinegar, put some in a spray bottle and spray any poop, let it sit for a few minutes and then it wipes right off with a towel or sponge. I also soak perches an toys in a vinegar water mixture, then just water(to get the smell out, I absolutely hate vinegar lol) and then let it air dry, works wonders, honestly I think it works better than that poop off spray that costs a small fortune.

Lauren

Dec 13, 2007
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Parrots
Seth - 16 y/o Blue Crown Conure

Lily - 3 y/o White Capped Pionus
I definitely agree with the water/vinegar mixture (50-50).

I also use for soaking non-dyed toys/perches, a strong mixture of GSE and warm water (GSE or Grapefruit Seed Extract is a great cleaner and it is also great for our insides, birds included. I typically add 1 - 2 drops in their cage water)

Nimwey

Jul 27, 2011
Media
Karlstad, Sweden
Parrots
Eight year old female Meyers Parrot and three year old male Scarlet Macaw.
I had an Eleonora Cockatoo for years and let me tell you, they are extremely active. I had a cage that size for him and it was not enough by a long shot. :eek:
He'd need (and it was the same for my other cockatoo, a LSC2) at least twice that size, to have room to fly, swing, flap and just go crazy.

Such a large bird can't have enough room and still have lots of stimulation in a cage that size, I'm afraid.

The only "factory made" cage I (or my birds) would find sufficient for a bird that size and activity level would be this: http://www.justcages.co.uk/media/BA...0lJLmpwZ1sIOgZwOgp0aHVtYiIMOTAweDYwMA.jpg.jpg

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
I had an Eleonora Cockatoo for years and let me tell you, they are extremely active. I had a cage that size for him and it was not enough by a long shot. :eek:
He'd need (and it was the same for my other cockatoo, a LSC2) at least twice that size, to have room to fly, swing, flap and just go crazy.

Such a large bird can't have enough room and still have lots of stimulation in a cage that size, I'm afraid.

The only "factory made" cage I (or my birds) would find sufficient for a bird that size and activity level would be this: http://www.justcages.co.uk/media/BA...0lJLmpwZ1sIOgZwOgp0aHVtYiIMOTAweDYwMA.jpg.jpg

That link is broken :31:

OP
TonyCagg

TonyCagg

Jun 30, 2011
Upstate New York
Parrots
We wound up getting him a 36x28x64 it also has a playtop. It certainly seems to be more than adequate for him.

I have worked with a bunch of 'Toos and he is certainly the most laid back which I have ever met. I give him enough of his own time and he seems very happy to entertain himself. I balance the rest of his day between, "Out of the cage time" atop his playpen and plenty of play time with the family.

He has a number of toys, both chew toys and foraging toys. He ONLY plays with foraging toys. He has not chewed a single thing since he arrived here 12 days ago. He is not much of a chewer but loves to play with anything he needs to figure out.

I took a toilet paper roll and put one of his toys in it and he was completely upset with taking the roll apart...I took another roll with no toy in it and he could care less about shredding anything.

Just getting to know him...his likes, his quirks etc is a lot more fun that I ever considered it would be.

PS...he also has a similar sized cage for outdoors.

Most Reactions

Latest posts