First few days

Angiie

May 5, 2017
Hello again! I made a topic just a few days ago, and I'm coming back for more!

I have a quick question. We're heading to a breeder on Saturday for a newly weaned Umbrella Cockatoo. For the first few days, how do I keep her enriched when she hasn't been introduced to toys? And if she'll be very curious and try to play with them, what if she has no interest after a few quick pecks? I'm planning on leaving her alone for 2 days to let her to get used to the surroundings, which is why I'm asking. (is this a good idea?)

And a separate question: since she'll likely be stressed due to the new environment, what if she doesn't begin to eat her pellets, fruits, and veggies?

I'll be very grateful for a response to these questions! I'm not sure if her not playing with toys is a cue for me to step in, and I'm not sure what to do if she's too afraid to eat. Thank you! :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
A lot will depend on how she is socialized. Everything will be new, so be prepared to tread lightly and let her progress at her own pace. Some birds will be bursting with energy and curiosity, others reserved and wary of change. Cockatoos generally love toys, so experiment with some wooden and hard plastic type challenging items. It may be a while before she shows interest, so be patient.

You'll get some food clues from the breeder, but it is never too early to introduce nutritious vegetables and fruits. She may be stressed, but not to the point of starvation. FYI some cockatoos are notorious for shy eating habits and prefer to dine alone!

Most Reactions

Latest posts