First Time Owner

OP
A

Aelle

May 15, 2013
I feel your pain, though I too understand your goal being out of reach, maybe you can talk to the owner?
I was 15, I had never experenced a bird like that before, but I was drawn to animals and my aunts love bird cherry was a big bright spot during my summers at my grandmothers so I spent years looking up birds and knew what african greys were vary smart. .. and Yea.. I broke down crying when I walked out, .... I wont tell you what he did when I left to spare you the tears but....

I really dont know how you managed to turn around and walk out, If that happened to me today, Id do everything in my power to get that bird, including selling my car.

I had to sneak out, honestly. I was supposed to be making a quick trip to the pet store and then I had to get groceries and pick my mom up from work, but I ended up staying at the pet store for half an hour. Every time I tried to leave he got fussier and fussier, and then a woman came in with her children and they came up to the cage where I was standing. An employee came out to talk to them (funny, I'd been there for thirty minutes and no one tried to talk to me) and my heart just sank because this lady looked like she didn't want to get close to the cage at all, but she was adamant that she "wanted a bird that could talk". It was rather obvious that she didn't like/know much about animals at all, because she called the guinea pigs "big rats".

Sometimes life is just horrible like that. It's very possible that woman bought the cockatoo because she could afford it and I couldn't.

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
I do have two cats -Riply & Nano bites-
four snakes- china, dip & stick, and Grand Chahee-
I know,terrible.

Ive had a few people act like that. I worked at a shelter for a while, it was bad.. I nearly got fired for telling a women that she didnt need a puppy, she needed a microwave, cause she wanted a puppy that didnt bark, chew, was house broken and sweet. At least a Microwave would ding when it was done.

OP
A

Aelle

May 15, 2013
I know,terrible.

Ive had a few people act like that. I worked at a shelter for a while, it was bad.. I nearly got fired for telling a women that she didnt need a puppy, she needed a microwave, cause she wanted a puppy that didnt bark, chew, was house broken and sweet. At least a Microwave would ding when it was done.

I used to volunteer at my local animal shelter, too. I didn't last two weeks...people brought animals in such horrible conditions, and one woman brought in a litter of kittens that were less than two days old! Apparently her cat had them unexpectedly, and she wasn't even willing to let them stay with their mother until they were old enough to be weaned. We begged her to reconsider, even told her that they were likely to die without the antibodies from their mother's milk, but she absolutely did not care.

When I was younger, I used to think I'd love having a job working with animals...but I'm just too tenderhearted. I hate seeing animals in pain, abandoned and abused and not being able to do anything about it. I'd either become a pet hoarder or chronically depressed if I stayed in that environment long.

On a cheerier note, I did manage to find a parrot rescue about an hour and a half away from here. I really had to do some digging because it's a very small rescue, but they also offer free classes for new parrot owners and that way I could provide a home to a parrot that really needs one. I'll probably give them a call this week and set up a time to drive up there.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Xreinx, what is the picture of on your avatar? It looks like a cat chewing on a bird. But my eyes are only so good and expanding the pic on my ipad only blurs it more.

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
Its of my kitty telling me what he thinks of nail clipping time and the nail clippers themselfs. if I give him half a chance, he would take the clippers and hide them. and no not a bird and hopefully never birds, I dont even let them roam around outdoors, their outdoor enclosure is covered with plastic so the birds cant get in.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Now I see the shape clearly. I thought it was an Eclectus becoming a meal!

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
Oh yea looking at that now I could see it but... no Id never allow that, let alone take a picture of it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts