First time parrot owner got a rosella..

Pesof

Aug 21, 2016
Hi.. First of all i would like to say how wonderful this forum as and whenever I search for something about my new parrot google redirects me here :D.(please bear with my English)
I spent some time reading some information here,
specially this one.. http://www.parrotforums.com/budgies-parakeets/15693-how-hard-really-tame-rosella.html
which always makes me feel that this beautiful bird is just a small monster that will never be trained..

I have 0 experience with parrots.. but i spent much of my free time reading how to start with my new Rosella Rubino (I called it Fozi :D) which i got 2 weeks ago.

So my problem is this little rosie is so afraid of anything even any small move in the room, It will start flying around in his cage like crazy.
I need help from you guys to tell me if what i am doing is true and if so what should i change and/or Add.
I live in an extremely hot and humid City(Adana in Turkey).
What I do exactly is ..
1- I put the bird's cage in a high place in the living room (I have a cat so just in case :D )
2-I keep talking to him as my family also but we can't approach his cage as he first move from the wood in his cage (middle) and starts climbing the cage, as we approach more will be start jumping in the cage in a crazy way.
3-Only i change his food and water also he do the same fear behavior.
4-In order to make sure he is safe i move his cage at night (before sleeping) to the balcony till morning (no attacks from my cat she just watches him but I want to make sure nothing goes wrong).
5-when i come back from work i take his cage to my room sit with him,talk and try to communicate for 1 hour while leaving my hand near the cage so he might trust it.(actually he is just next to me while typing this :D)
6-I tried once to put my hand in his cage he got sooo afraid that I decided not to do it again..
7-once i had to wash his cage so i sprayed the cage only (not him) with water but he walked to the water and enjoyed a bath in his cage.

I know i typed a lot but I really don't him to stay in his cage as i feel sorry for him..He is just afraid of every one around here I am doing my best to let him get used to me with no good...
Any help would be appreciated and the threads i read i liked how helpful this forum members were with others:).
Here is some images of Fozi uploaded to imagegur (hope not forbidden here)
Fozi - Album on Imgur

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Welcome to the forum!

You have only had your rosella for 2 weeks...Its a totally new surrounding to him. Keep talking to him softly..sit by his cage and let him get used to you. I Don't know anything about roseys,but with most parrots you need to take it slow..
It was good that he enjoyed his bath! Maybe bathe him everyday since he enjoys it and he will associate seeing you there with having a good time.

How old is he? Time and patients is what is needed. Don't get too discouraged if he doesn't respond immediately.

Keep us posted!

Jim

OP
P

Pesof

Aug 21, 2016
Welcome to the forum!

You have only had your rosella for 2 weeks...Its a totally new surrounding to him. Keep talking to him softly..sit by his cage and let him get used to you. I Don't know anything about roseys,but with most parrots you need to take it slow..
It was good that he enjoyed his bath! Maybe bathe him everyday since he enjoys it and he will associate seeing you there with having a good time.

How old is he? Time and patients is what is needed. Don't get too discouraged if he doesn't respond immediately.

Keep us posted!

Jim

Oh thanks for your encouraging reply :)
I don't know how old he is or even if he/she :D
But i read enough online that i think it's a he :D (maybe images I uploaded can help :) )?
so As far as i understood I am doing it right and I just need to sit next to him more and talk to him :)
I really appreciate your help.
I was a cat lover but now Fozi is taking more time from me than my fiancee :D
And i would post any good news in the future for sure :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome to the forum!
Here is a link with some wonderful tips on building trust:

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

It would be good to add some safe natural perches to his cage, Fozi will feel better with different sizes and textures to perch on. If you can, I am sure he would enjoy a larger cage as well. He is gorgeous!
You sound like you are on the right track with your new baby, please keep us updated:)

SirEdwin89

Mar 5, 2016
Virginia
Parrots
Confetti (9y/o CAG), Ely (5 y/o Citron SC2), Barney (3 y/o MSC2), Baby (21 y/o Senegal), Peaches (16 y/o M2)
Conan (26 y/o Harlequin Macaw)
Merhaba nasilsin! Hosgeldiniz.

I think I just about exhausted my Turkish vocabulary ( I'm not sure asking about the bathroom would make much sense contextually) And for the record, your English typing is better than most of my friends who have it as a first language! Great to have you here as well.

The link Terry posted is absolutely fantastic and should help you continue on the right track, but I just wanted to commend you. As a first time bird owner, you sound like you are definitely on the right track to begin with.

OP
P

Pesof

Aug 21, 2016
Merhaba nasilsin! Hosgeldiniz.

I think I just about exhausted my Turkish vocabulary ( I'm not sure asking about the bathroom would make much sense contextually) And for the record, your English typing is better than most of my friends who have it as a first language! Great to have you here as well.

The link Terry posted is absolutely fantastic and should help you continue on the right track, but I just wanted to commend you. As a first time bird owner, you sound like you are definitely on the right track to begin with.

Your Turkish isn't bad at all, You can get by using these 3 words in Turkey actually (they use them like 1000 time a day :D) LOL :D:D... I will check the link posted by Terry for sure:)..
I am a good handling dogs and cats but when i got this bird as a gift i was soo sad for him he is so afraid of anything then i checked online and i found that Rosella isn't the best parrot for beginners like me ... however i am really determined on building some trust with him :D
and thanks for the kind words I started to love and check this forum more than facebook because of the kind people here :)
I have been staying next to this red monster for 4 hours till now (weekend nothing to do ):D

Last edited:
OP
P

Pesof

Aug 21, 2016
Hello and welcome to the forum!
Here is a link with some wonderful tips on building trust:

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

It would be good to add some safe natural perches to his cage, Fozi will feel better with different sizes and textures to perch on. If you can, I am sure he would enjoy a larger cage as well. He is gorgeous!
You sound like you are on the right track with your new baby, please keep us updated:)

Thanks for the link Terry i think i didn't notice it when i searched google (wrong key words used maybe :D)
and for the perches I bought some toys and perches for him from the pet shop but as i said i am afraid to open his cage and cause him a heart attack like last time :D so I will wait till he allows me to atleast move next to him without him screaming out of fear :(
And i thought the cage is enough hmmm... Let me go check it's dimension brb
ok it's 50X80 CM .
If it's not enough i will replace it .. thanks for your help again :D

OP
P

Pesof

Aug 21, 2016
Also just was wondering will moving the cage between the living room, my room and balcony has any side effects ?
He gets afraid when i lift the cage but when i start walking while holding it he looks ok ( i kinda feel that he chirps and walk left to right in a loop after 8 pm like he is asking me to take him to the balcony where he can sleep in a silent and safe place )
At night i always keep him in the balcony ( when the weather gets cold i have to find another safe place from my cat :D)
at 8 am i move him to the living room where my family is always there and my cat can't have a chance ...
when i get back from work i take him to my room sit next to him till he starts chirping and walking in a loop then i think he needs to sleep and i take him to the balcony .

sorry for these tooo many noob questions but I swear developing mobile applications is easier for me than understanding Fozi :D:red:

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
Welcome to the forum! Yea, you've definitely got a challenge there in taming a rosella! Rubinos are my favorite - I have 2 myself.
One big thing that stood out to me in your write up is the cat. Now many many people have both parrots and cats, or dogs. But even if your cat just sits and looks at the bird as you describe, your poor little bird who is already scared must feel as if he is constantly being watched by a predator. Well, actually he is.
So he's frequently changing locations, dodging a predator and nothing is very stable for him. Do you have a room in the apartment where his cage can stay and you can keep the cat out? He would then have a stable environment without constant change.
As for the new toys, you can set them near the cage, outside the cage, so he can see them and start to get used to them before trying to put them in his cage.

SirEdwin89

Mar 5, 2016
Virginia
Parrots
Confetti (9y/o CAG), Ely (5 y/o Citron SC2), Barney (3 y/o MSC2), Baby (21 y/o Senegal), Peaches (16 y/o M2)
Conan (26 y/o Harlequin Macaw)
Also just was wondering will moving the cage between the living room, my room and balcony has any side effects ?
He gets afraid when i lift the cage but when i start walking while holding it he looks ok ( i kinda feel that he chirps and walk left to right in a loop after 8 pm like he is asking me to take him to the balcony where he can sleep in a silent and safe place )
At night i always keep him in the balcony ( when the weather gets cold i have to find another safe place from my cat :D)
at 8 am i move him to the living room where my family is always there and my cat can't have a chance ...
when i get back from work i take him to my room sit next to him till he starts chirping and walking in a loop then i think he needs to sleep and i take him to the balcony .

sorry for these tooo many noob questions but I swear developing mobile applications is easier for me than understanding Fozi :D:red:

Haha, Coding can be considered easy in comparison. At least with coding a=b is always a=b. With birds, a=b one day, and a=c the next :D

As far as moving the cage, it's probably the healthiest option for moving him around currently if he needs to be moved. Personally I usually use multiple cages, but considering I have to dis-assemble a few of them to get them through doors moving them regularly isn't exactly an option. However, if you *do* decide to get a bigger cage, you can always use the current smaller one as a sleep cage down the road.

I know you mentioned how timid/skittish he is right now though, so moving him from cage to cage right now, would likely be even more stressful than moving the cage. He sounds like he knows the cage is safe, and is even getting used to the move, even if you first picking it up still makes him a little uneasy.

The key is to continue how you are doing things as far as keepin him on a relative schedule while in the beginning bonding phases especially. If every night he is used to getting his cage moved at bed-time, eventually the act shouldn't scare him at all (he will know what is happening when he is being moved, because "hey this always happens at this time")

Honestly, it might be beneficial in getting him used to being moved around in a cage for vet visits and such in the future as well.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
The bigger the cage, the better. At minimum, it's a good enough cage.

Putting him against a wall or even in a corner may help so he has less places he needs to watch and may give a sense of security.

Adding a "wall" of some type (i.e. toys or branches) within the cage to give him some privacy may also help.

IMG_7382_zps8ee82758.jpg

IMG_7385_zps8533f74f.jpg

If your bird is freaking out, the best thing to do is to back off! Don't sit there and talk to the bird until it calms down, physically get away from the cage until the bird calms down!

Working with Fearful Parrots: A Study in Videos | Learning Parrots

Parrot Behavior Myths: Building Trust | Learning Parrots

If you can find millet (like image below), see if your bird likes it. If your bird does, you can use it as a treating reward to teach your bird to accept your presence.

http://www.petsolutions.com/images/Products/12519190.jpg

OP
P

Pesof

Aug 21, 2016
Welcome to the forum! Yea, you've definitely got a challenge there in taming a rosella! Rubinos are my favorite - I have 2 myself.
One big thing that stood out to me in your write up is the cat. Now many many people have both parrots and cats, or dogs. But even if your cat just sits and looks at the bird as you describe, your poor little bird who is already scared must feel as if he is constantly being watched by a predator. Well, actually he is.
So he's frequently changing locations, dodging a predator and nothing is very stable for him. Do you have a room in the apartment where his cage can stay and you can keep the cat out? He would then have a stable environment without constant change.
As for the new toys, you can set them near the cage, outside the cage, so he can see them and start to get used to them before trying to put them in his cage.
Wow 2 Rubinos :D I am sure it was hard to tame both of them :D
And actually you are right.. I don't know why i didn't think about it that way..
but my main reason for me moving him is so he doesn't stay alone.
Leaving birds without anyone in the room for a long time(my work hours ) in a cage isn't a good idea to me...atleast i would feel bad for him.. please correct me if i am thinking emotional too much.
I think i will cut the balcony out of my plan..
I will put him near in the living room and let him sleep and stay with me in my room where no cats can enter . :)
thanks for the notice :)

OP
P

Pesof

Aug 21, 2016

Haha, Coding can be considered easy in comparison. At least with coding a=b is always a=b. With birds, a=b one day, and a=c the next :D

As far as moving the cage, it's probably the healthiest option for moving him around currently if he needs to be moved. Personally I usually use multiple cages, but considering I have to dis-assemble a few of them to get them through doors moving them regularly isn't exactly an option. However, if you *do* decide to get a bigger cage, you can always use the current smaller one as a sleep cage down the road.

I know you mentioned how timid/skittish he is right now though, so moving him from cage to cage right now, would likely be even more stressful than moving the cage. He sounds like he knows the cage is safe, and is even getting used to the move, even if you first picking it up still makes him a little uneasy.

The key is to continue how you are doing things as far as keepin him on a relative schedule while in the beginning bonding phases especially. If every night he is used to getting his cage moved at bed-time, eventually the act shouldn't scare him at all (he will know what is happening when he is being moved, because "hey this always happens at this time")

Honestly, it might be beneficial in getting him used to being moved around in a cage for vet visits and such in the future as well.
Yes i read about the taking a parrot to vet problem :D
I will try to make the moving less as Sonja suggested :)
maybe sleeping in my room will make the bond better between us :D

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
You are going to do just fine with him, it is obvious how much you already care about him, and love goes a long way:)

OP
P

Pesof

Aug 21, 2016
The bigger the cage, the better. At minimum, it's a good enough cage.

Putting him against a wall or even in a corner may help so he has less places he needs to watch and may give a sense of security.

Adding a "wall" of some type (i.e. toys or branches) within the cage to give him some privacy may also help.

IMG_7382_zps8ee82758.jpg

IMG_7385_zps8533f74f.jpg

If your bird is freaking out, the best thing to do is to back off! Don't sit there and talk to the bird until it calms down, physically get away from the cage until the bird calms down!

Working with Fearful Parrots: A Study in Videos | Learning Parrots

Parrot Behavior Myths: Building Trust | Learning Parrots

If you can find millet (like image below), see if your bird likes it. If your bird does, you can use it as a treating reward to teach your bird to accept your presence.

http://www.petsolutions.com/images/Products/12519190.jpg

First I love what you did to cages :D
as i said earlier i bought some stuff (even though the ones in the image looks cooler :D) but am just waiting for him to bond with me then i will try to add this stuff to him (I am planning to add some toy from out side the cage without opening it)
also yes i found the millet online and already ordered 5 pieces (to test it )
its cheap like 1.5$ ..
and i will check the links you posted thanks for pointing me to them :)
appreciate your help :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts