First Vet Trip

Curtis

Jul 16, 2017
Hey, I'm taking Chicco my African Grey to the vet for a the first time for a health check tomorrow as I only just adopted him on Sunday and want to make sure he's all good.

I'm extremely nervous as he's decided to begin to trust me already which was a complete surprise. We still have a long way to go but he's so keen to venture out of this cage and investigate everything around him. I leave all interaction down to his terms as he's so new to our family and I wouldn't want to push things especially as I say he's very new still and I'm even surprised he wanted to come out the cage.

Just today he has begun to show willingness to step up onto my hand, not every time mind you but he is getting there.

I'm terrified of putting him back into his travel cage since that definitely was traumatic for him when we picked him up. I'm also terrified of how much the vet will handle want to handle him (I've only never taken a bird to the vet myself)

I just don't want to undo all the progress we have been making with each other

Anyone got any tips?

Also today he started doing this strange thing were he lowered his wings to the table exposing his back and made a very calm quite almost high pitched breathing noise (I can't really explain it) it was rather cute and he seemed to really want me to give him a head scratch so I did and he seemed pretty happy with it. This was the first time I've been able to do this since visiting him in his original home.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Any chance you have a different carrier? I'd use it...

If you have to use the same one, then by all means do it, a healthy bird is a happy bird in a happy home. Little short things seem to be forgotten, it's the hours hanging out with the family he/she will remember. But don't be shocked if he/she is a bit pissy for about 15 minutes or so, (usually less) but they get over stuff pretty quick if nothing actually bad happens.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
as above probably change the carry cage, or try to train him to not be so scared of it. Have it around him whilst you're hanging out, let him stand on it and give him treats each time he acts relaxed on it. The try putting him in it and give him a treat when calm. Then try to have him step off into the cage, another treat, then try shutting the door and once again give treats. Then try moving the cage around with him in, all the time being calm and offering treats. Naturally if he gets scared at any point during this back off slightly and when he calms down offer a treat.

Greys are among the smartest of all birds and among the most empathetic so they are more in tune with people than you'd realize. If he was socialized a lot at his old home then he will be more trusting to people. The high pitched whine sounds like baby behavior, I assume he was hand-fed as a baby so he learnt very quickly that those noises mean he gets fussed over and given either food or scritches. I would always reward a quiet noise like that when they happen to help them know that a quiet noise is more likely to lead to happy things than a loud noise.

If you want to go over stuff with the vet first you can request to leave while they do what they need to do. They'll associate that vet with being poked and prodded and you with treats and fun! To say a vet visit doesn't ruin relationships. They may have a sulk or a tantrum for a bit after but then they calm down

OP
C

Curtis

Jul 16, 2017
Thank you for your replies,

We have struggling to find a treat he likes that is small enough to reward him often... his previous owners while I'm sure they did love, got him into pretty bad habits with eating, he only seems to want to snack on crisps and drink tea!

Obviously I'm very reluctant to carry on allowing him to have these things in his diet. I've tried hazel nuts, almonds, we are doing through fruits and veg right now but it isn't an easy treat to give him for quick rewards for positive behaviour.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Greys are extremely sensitive, and you don't wish to undo the great progress to date. I realize you posted "yesterday" and may already be enroute to the vet. My advice would have been to delay the vet appointment a bit assuming there are no overt signs of illness. It might be possible to desensitize his view of the crate by incorporating it with play and enjoyable behavior.

Changing to a healthy diet is important but need not be done on a crash basis unless he is out of control! I'd be careful with tea, as caffeine is not so healthy.

Some threads you may find helpful!

http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...afe-fresh-foods-toxic-food-lists-sprouts.html

OP
C

Curtis

Jul 16, 2017
Thanks for the reply,

Yes it was too late to delay! Unfortunately I did have some health concerns as he has incredibly tatty tail and flight feathers, he also had an issue with the middle of his chest which the vet said after inspection looks like he broke his skin from a crash landing (he doesn't seem to be able to fly)

So I thought it was best to get him seen as soon as possible. Unfortunately we have gone backwards in our progress but he has been given a clean bill of health which is a huge relief to me. I don't mind spending the extra time regaining his trust.

At least I know he's going to be okay.

Ps. Definitely not giving him any more tea! I have managed to get him to switch to naturally caffeine free herbal tea for a little bed time treat.

Most Reactions

Latest posts