First vet visit

lplummer52

Apr 19, 2016
Indialantic, FL
Parrots
"Birdie". Sun Conure
So I found an avian vet in my area and he seems good. He told me there are many, many things they can test for, but it all costs money. I had him check heart, lungs, weight, fecal exam, blood work for I forget what, and DNA testing while cutting his toenails which were like little razors. He was pronounced very healthy for all tests evaluated that day....including heart, lungs, worms, weight, etc. he is a little unstable after his toenails were cut. He's used to flying anywhere on my clothes and being able to grab on....not any more. The vet said I was feeding too many sunflower seeds and I have because I've been using them for treat training. I've been giving him a big dish of fruits and veg in the morning and the vet said to cut it in half. As many pellets and whole grains as he wants, but not so many fruits and veg. I was surprised. He said the stool should never be watery and it is watery in the morning after his big cup of fruit and veg. Another thing he said was to keep all pellets, seeds, etc. in freezer. Anyway, he's mighty tired after the big trip today. :orange:

rosembers

Nov 15, 2015
Sounds like your bird is healthy.

Yeah, when we trim our birds' nails they seem a little less stable on their gripping for a couple days.

Sunflower seeds are definitely a treat that should be fed minimally. Small almond pieces can be a good addition for your treat training (but also not large amounts).

I personally feed as many pellets, fruits and veggies as my birds will eat, and THEN whole grains. Otherwise they would eat their fill of carby grains and little to no fruits/veggies which are natural staples to have in their diet. :) You're doing great!

Most Reactions

Latest posts