Flea problem...

tasha4f

Aug 14, 2014
Yorkshire
Parrots
Golden Conures, lovebird
Hi, I recently bought a pair of Golden Conures from a breeder that had them in an outside aviary. We have them in a spare room inside the house and since having them, I have been savagely attacked by fleas (one even jumped on me whilst I was sat watching TV!!!). I have been trying to find something which will be safe for the birds and have come across this powder called diatomaceous earth which seems quite safe to put around the house and in / around the cage. The birds have a nesting box, however, and I'm really worried it's going to be riddled with fleas and I just wondered what the best way would be to ensure this was flea free without bothering the birds too much.

If anybody has used this powder or knows of it can you give me some advice as to how safe it is for the birds and if it's OK to sprinkle in the nesting box. I want to make sure it's safe for the birds and if at any point the start breeding, will it be safe for the eggs and the young chicks.

I have done a lot of googling and read about this on a few bird forums but they don't mention anything about nesting boxes. I know farmers use it in chicken nesting areas and it is safe for chicken eggs but I wouldn't like to assume it's OK for my conures.

Here are some websites which discuss the powder if anybody can let me know what you think or if you have any other alternatives that would be greatly appreciated!!

:blue2: :orange:

Diatomaceous Earth (DE) for Flea Control

Safe Pet Bird Solutions & More by KLH - Diatomaceous Earth

Diatomaceous Earth (Absorbacide) - Organic Insecticide Dust 4 kg for Sale Sydney @ Enfield Produce : Pet & Garden Supplies

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Diatomaceous Earth is fine, but i not a fast worker.....there is a product, manufactured here in the states by Ortho Chemicals & I've read that it i available in the UK, but don't know the vendor. While it is used primarily for garden pests, it i safe for use around companion birds & fowl.....I've even rubbed it into bird feathers, when a rehomed bird brought mite with it.

I don't know for certain, but I've heard that fleas don't like parrot blood.....maybe UK flea are not a discerning as those on this side of the big pond.....

There was a recent discussion around here about fleas and there are older discussions around also:

http://www.parrotforums.com/general...y-mom-set-off-flea-bombs-my-parrot-house.html

If you don't have other, out door pets, you can pick up fleas jut by walking through your yard, especially if it is habited by dogs and/or cats, squirrels and similar creatures.

If you have an infestation, several bottles of wine often help a couple of my friends who have recurring problems with the little "buggers."

Good luck.....

OP
T

tasha4f

Aug 14, 2014
Yorkshire
Parrots
Golden Conures, lovebird
there is a product, manufactured here in the states by Ortho Chemicals & I've read that it i available in the UK, but don't know the vendor.

I've read on lots of forums and about half of the people say they can't get fleas and half say they can and I have no outdoor pets and I started getting bit a couple of days after we got them so I really think they've brought them in...or at least maybe it was in the nesting box they came with. I think the nesting box may have been outside in the breeders yard so they may well have got in the house that way if not directly on the bird!

Do you have a name for that product or is it just the name of the company?

Thanks

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Sorry about that, I've been going close to 40 hours now & don't function as well as I used to, without sleep.....the product is 5% Sevin Dust.....

I don't doubt your fleas may have arrived with your new feathered friends, it's just that they don't usually like parrot meals.....

I think you'll find success with the Sevin Dust and it's a good thing you're getting right after them, because they don't lay eggs until after they have had a meal of blood, so you may not yet be truly infested.....

Good luck.....

OP
T

tasha4f

Aug 14, 2014
Yorkshire
Parrots
Golden Conures, lovebird
Thanks a lot! I will have a look for that here in the UK.

I don't think it's properly infested yet, I've only seen a couple, but I think they really like me as I've had about 15 bites in 4 days and my partner hasn't had any. I really don't want it to get any worse though as I have a little hedgehog (never been outside for fear of fleas) which I think they will take a liking too if the get in his house so I need to protect him as well :)

I've been spreading salt over the carpets because I've heard that dries them out and kills them and I've been hoovering as much as I can as well.

Hopefully they'll be gone soon!!!

JordanWalker

May 16, 2014
I'm so glad that I found this thread. I will try to spread salt to my carpet and check to see if it will really kill the fleas. Thanks for sharing.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
I'm so glad that I found this thread. I will try to spread salt to my carpet and check to see if it will really kill the fleas. Thanks for sharing.

Jordan, before you empty your salt shaker or box of salt around your house, you might want to read "the rest of the story....."

You might also ask yourself why she came back asking for another solution after previously using the salt method.....

Good luck.....

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the main componant in Sevin Dust is actually Diatomaceous Earth. It does work, it is safe with one BIG caveat, it must not be breathed into the lungs of people or animals. So if you use it, one; get human grade DE and two; mix it in a spray bottle with water. Spray it into the cracks and corners of the box around the cages but make sure the birds are not within breathing distance while you are spraying and then let it work. You will have to shake the bottle periodically because DE tends to settle to the bottom of the bottle. I use this for my dogs in the summer because it is so effective on fleas.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I doubt the salt will work, use the food grade diatomaceous earth instead. You gpcan get it on amazon for around $2/lb and it is safe and effective. I see that the OP hasnt been on for a while but I hope he removed the box until the fleas were under control and replaced it with a new one when the birds were back to full health. We had a flea infestation a while ago from our dog and while it was a nightmare, they never touched the birds. Usually they leave parrots all me which leads me to suspect that if the fleas are going after them perhaps there is an additiona problem weakening them and make them more vulnerable to parasites.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Just wanted to add, that the person who posted about her mom setting off flea bombs (in the link provided in wecos post) later posted that her bird actually died shortly after the flea bomb. The bird went into respiratory failure and (I believe) convulsions. It was in a different post.

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
Hi, I recently bought a pair of Golden Conures from a breeder that had them in an outside aviary. We have them in a spare room inside the house and since having them, I have been savagely attacked by fleas (one even jumped on me whilst I was sat watching TV!!!). I have been trying to find something which will be safe for the birds and have come across this powder called diatomaceous earth which seems quite safe to put around the house and in / around the cage. The birds have a nesting box, however, and I'm really worried it's going to be riddled with fleas and I just wondered what the best way would be to ensure this was flea free without bothering the birds too much.

If anybody has used this powder or knows of it can you give me some advice as to how safe it is for the birds and if it's OK to sprinkle in the nesting box. I want to make sure it's safe for the birds and if at any point the start breeding, will it be safe for the eggs and the young chicks.

I have done a lot of googling and read about this on a few bird forums but they don't mention anything about nesting boxes. I know farmers use it in chicken nesting areas and it is safe for chicken eggs but I wouldn't like to assume it's OK for my conures.

Here are some websites which discuss the powder if anybody can let me know what you think or if you have any other alternatives that would be greatly appreciated!!

Diatomaceous Earth (DE) for Flea Control

Safe Pet Bird Solutions & More by KLH - Diatomaceous Earth

Diatomaceous Earth (Absorbacide) - Organic Insecticide Dust 4 kg for Sale Sydney @ Enfield Produce : Pet & Garden Supplies

Quite safe, I have chickens as well, Americana's, pencil rocks, jersey giants and this works very well with them, keeps not only fleas but mites, spiders and creepys away from them. Haven't had to use it on Parrots, but don't see why not as it's fine for chickens.

Most Reactions

Latest posts