Flight Feathers

Roro2019

Jan 25, 2020
Hi all! Let me start by thanking everyone for the advice the first and last time I posted. Or rehomed grey is doing excellent. We have all but eliminated the hormonal behavior and almost have her transitioned to pellets from seeds <——- this has been fun. The dish slamming when she doesn’t get what she wants was entertaining. Any way. Come to find out she was NOT the age we were told. 5-7. Her band, which I will include a photo of has us thinking she is 23!!! This brings me to my question. She does not fly. Just flutters. No lift. I would tend to believe the people who rehomed her said she WASNT clipped but after the age thing I’m skeptical. I THINK she has flight wings but I’m just not 100% sure. Looking for advice.. maybe at her age she wasn’t ever taught to fly or was clipped for so long she just doesn’t know how.

Thanks in advance!
5e7970b9657464f1cddc02c14b632a8a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

Roro2019

Jan 25, 2020
Hi all! Let me start by thanking everyone for the advice the first and last time I posted. Or rehomed grey is doing excellent. We have all but eliminated the hormonal behavior and almost have her transitioned to pellets from seeds <——- this has been fun. The dish slamming when she doesn’t get what she wants was entertaining. Any way. Come to find out she was NOT the age we were told. 5-7. Her band, which I will include a photo of has us thinking she is 23!!! This brings me to my question. She does not fly. Just flutters. No lift. I would tend to believe the people who rehomed her said she WASNT clipped but after the age thing I’m skeptical. I THINK she has flight wings but I’m just not 100% sure. Looking for advice.. maybe at her age she wasn’t ever taught to fly or was clipped for so long she just doesn’t know how.

Thanks in advance!
5e7970b9657464f1cddc02c14b632a8a.jpg

6b0ca0a5ab383da82c66a9d68a0953c2.jpg

Here is her band which we are assuming her origin is Texas and her hatch date was 97.

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
I don't know about the ring, but bloody god job to you for firstly getting the diet on track (I haven't even got that far myself!) but most importantly the patience, they don't half kick off when they aren't happy don't they hehehehe.

I had a cockatiel (Jed) before Enzo and he had issues, oh so many issues, but he couldn't fly as his flight feathers on one wing never grew in, I don't know the little fella's history but I can only imagine it wasn't happy :( RIP Jed!
Ive seen videos however of flightless birds that once their feathers had grown back could be taught to fly again or maybe for the first time. Baby steps id imagine would be the order of the day until confidence, strength and skill developed.....then there would be no stopping them, Watching Enzo doing her 'total joy flights' are amazing.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Hmmm, 97 sure implies what you are thinking!

Your Grey as a full set of Flight feathers, the larger set of feather that cross above the rump and tail feather clearly defines primary Flight Feathers!

Parrots that do not fledge when young require a step by step process of teaching them the joy of flight!

STOP: Never start flight training without a detailed health examination by an Avian Professional and better a Certified Avian Vet (CAV) targeting the condition of your Parrot's heart!!! And, even at that, you must tell them you are planning on Flight Training. Parrots who have not flown commonly have weak hearts and attempting to teach them flight could result in their loss due to heart failure!

NOTE: Please see the Amazon Sub-Forum and the Sticky Thread: I Love Amazons -... and within that Huge Thread on page one is a listing of all the Segments with in that huge Thread. Look for something like Re-Fledging an Adult Amazon. FYI: the vast majority of that Thread can be easily retitled as: I Love Parrots, as so much of it works for all Parrots.

Enjoy!

OP
R

Roro2019

Jan 25, 2020
Very good information. Thank you very much!

OP
R

Roro2019

Jan 25, 2020

Your Grey as a full set of Flight feathers, the larger set of feather that cross above the rump and tail feather clearly defines primary Flight Feathers!

Parrots that do not fledge when young require a step by step process of teaching them the joy of flight!

STOP: Never start flight training without a detailed health examination by an Avian Professional and better a Certified Avian Vet (CAV) targeting the condition of your Parrot's heart!!! And, even at that, you must tell them you are planning on Flight Training. Parrots who have not flown commonly have weak hearts and attempting to teach them flight could result in their loss due to heart failure!

NOTE: Please see the Amazon Sub-Forum and the Sticky Thread: I Love Amazons -... and within that Huge Thread on page one is a listing of all the Segments with in that huge Thread. Look for something like Re-Fledging an Adult Amazon. FYI: the vast majority of that Thread can be easily retitled as: I Love Parrots, as so much of it works for all Parrots.

Enjoy!

Would also like to add, we have no intentions of free flying her outside, ever. The reason we ask is she is a bit, how do I say it .. Attention hungry? We understand this is normal and with my wife being home during the day she gets plenty of attention. We have multiple things in place for her to forage on multiple perches which she gladly takes part in. She gets bored I guess and will hell from time to time if she isn’t being held or talked to in close proximity. Our thinking, which could be completely wrong is if she had the ability to fly short distances to one of us or another perch it might give her some other activities. I could be asking for trouble too. Hahaha.

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
I didnt even think about health issues so well done SailBoat for pointing that out. I don't know about all birds but certainly CAGs are flock birds and want to be around their flock. I dont find Enzo attention seeking for the vast majority of the time, in fact as an example. When im working from home I used to have my office upstairs in a spare bedroom, Enzo would spend 95% of her time in the bathroom right next to the room I was in, she does her own thing, preening, napping, talking to herself, barking at the dogs outside etc, so although she is close to me, she isn't with me if that makes sense. But she has full access to fly around the house as long as she's good and goes for poops in her 'prepared' places etc. Im wondering id the clinginess is because of his lack of independence as such, so assuming the vet gives the green light and he learns to fly, you may get a less dependant and happy parrot. Good luck

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

Enjoy!

Would also like to add, we have no intentions of free flying her outside, ever. The reason we ask is she is a bit, how do I say it .. Attention hungry? We understand this is normal and with my wife being home during the day she gets plenty of attention. We have multiple things in place for her to forage on multiple perches which she gladly takes part in. She gets bored I guess and will hell from time to time if she isn’t being held or talked to in close proximity. Our thinking, which could be completely wrong is if she had the ability to fly short distances to one of us or another perch it might give her some other activities. I could be asking for trouble too. Hahaha.

I have no problem with a walk-about and/or carried about Parrot. My big concern is a Parrot that develops heart issues as a result of not at least flapping.

It is extremely important to remember that everything about a Parrot and I do mean everything is founded around flight! If their Heart, Air Sacks (Lungs) and Flight Muscles are not at least occasionally used, there can be health problems.

I'm not playing to any fear issue, only the important to at least get them to flap a bit. Not being crazy, but at least some.

FYI: Our Amazon is fully flighted and 'only' flies inside as we live in Red Tail Hawk flight training central. Being flighted does not mean 'Outdoor Free Flying,' which is a totally different set of training requirements far beyond inside flight... Far Beyond!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts