Flight Harnesses vs Clipping

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Why don't you consider a secure carrier (they have back-packs made to carry birds in them) instead of clipping and/or a harness? It's much safer that clipping or harnessing both in the sense that there is no way the bird can fly away if in a cage and also because, this way, the bird can remain fully flighted (much healthier from a physical and emotional perspective) and it cannot get tangled up or hurt by the harness (birds have been spooked while wearing a harness and they have taken off just to end up dangling from the leash which makes them freak out and struggle to the point that they hurt themselves -I know of one that broke a wing which was never the same afterward).

Another good suggestion Birdamor. This is also a great way to give them some fresh air. I have taken my tiel for short walks in her carrier around my area and she seems to enjoy it. I also find just placing their cages in a nice shaded area on a sunny day also gives them a pick me up (avoid full sun). But carrier cages are another possibility if it suits. You would want to make sure your bird is comfortable being in one though and make sure it is very secure, especially on long trips.

At the end of the day - I think which ever avenue you take, there will always be an element of risk. A carrier case can be dropped or break open, a harness can get tangled and clipped birds can get blown away. But I think being aware of these potential problems and preparing for them through training, common sense and a keeping a watchful eye, can help reduce the risk.

Most Reactions

Latest posts