Flipping

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I think most forum members know what bird flipping is. It has nothing to do with wings or any gesters. A person buys a bird for the lowest price they can and then resells this same bird for a higher price. The poor bird's welfare is not even considered. I have come to the conclusion that we have some on the forum doing this very thing. Please beware when you contact someone selling a bird for what you think is too high of a price. This person is most likely a bird flipper!!

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I know of a couple of bird flippers in my area. Yep, they will contact the seller, whether it be on Craigslist or Ebay classifieds or where ever and offer them a lower than asking price for their birds. They usually go for the desocialized birds and the ones with issues of aggression, plucking, and so forth.

But what I have found about the couple that I'm familiar with is that they actually do a great service to the birds and the buyer as well as the seller that they bought the bird from. Here's why I feel this way

1. The seller is selling a desocialized bird with biting or other issues, which keeps the seller from selling the bird to an inexperienced bird person. The seller gets to unload their unwanted bird and make some money while doing it.

2. The flipper, then works with the bird sometimes for months to resocialize them and actually turning them into a pet again.

3. Then the flipper finds the birds a new hope and yes, at a higher price because they have re-tamed the bird again.

4. But both flippers here will not just rehome te birds with just anyone, they will deliver the birds to the buyer and do a home inspection in the process. They even do a couple of checkups on the buyer and the bird to make sure everything is going good.

The couple I'm familiar with, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a bird from them because I know how they care about the birds. Is it a business to them? I would say NO, it's more of a hobby. But I'm sure not all are this nice or good.

skycon

Apr 8, 2011
Media
Albums
Patrick AFB, Florida
Parrots
Savannah, 4 year old Hahns Macaw
mtdoramike, that doesn't really sound like flipping. They are doing what they are to benefit the bird. Flippers are people who buy cheap animals, not just birds, and immediately turn around and sell them for a profit. Most of them couldn't care less what type of people they sell the animal to.

I am sure most people wouldn't have a problem with what you are explaining. That sounds more like rehabilitation.

OP
Spiritbird

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Your description of bird flipper doesn't sound too bad. This has not been my experience as the bird flippers I have known did not take the time to rehab the bird at all. Kinda like you buy the bird as is and yes for a high price than the flipper paid.

kitt

Mar 27, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
Ava(peach faced lovebird) and my very first bird
Leroy (black headed caique) my little moody bird
Dusty (hahns macaw) my clown
I have never heard of this...but it doesn't surprise me.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
I always see an add on ebay in my area; Will take unwanted parrots, free or low price.

I am pretty sure they are just flippers. :(

Most Reactions