Flock Logic or Not?!

Fleabane

Dec 26, 2012
Hi All

First of all I've spent a long time lurking on this forum and would like to thank all for the fantastic source of information you provide, it's been instrumental in helping me choose what, where and when!!

Having had an imprinted Barn Owl for a very long time, one canary(left to me in a will) and numerous "rescue" rehabilitated wild birds I have finally decided on my own parrot of choice - an Eclectus male

Now my plan is to allow him to be part of our "flock" with his day cage in the dinning room, I work from home in there, a Java tree in our lounge, we chill out in there and I'm now wondering re sleeping arrangements.

We all sleep upstairs, all being me, hubby, son, 5 dogs! and our indoor only (by her choice!) cat. I feel we should therefore have his sleep cage in our large bedroom?

What are your thoughts on this, could I combine his sleep cage with his travel cage (perhaps a Kings) or would he be best sleeping downstairs on his own??

As ever thoughts and ideas much appreciated

By the way Harry will be arriving tomorrow, he is a two year old from a broken home and needed another flock to join :). As you can tell I'm very excited, will post pictures once he's settled and home

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Welcome to the forum:)

Congrats on your new Ekkie.. you must be very excited.

We have alot of Ekkie Owners on the forum who I am sure will be able to give you some great advice.

Look forward to seeing pics when you bring him home:)

moni.k

Sep 2, 2012
Pasadena, CA
Parrots
~SI female eclectus: Nalani~
~pineapple.turquoise GCC: Layla~
When you bring him home, I think you should stick with one location. Whether that be your bedroom or living room. He will be nervous, scared and uneasy about his surroundings, so try to keep him in one location. This will help him adjust easier and quicker. Once he has gotten to know you, the different sights and sounds, then I you can move him from his sleeping cage to his day cage and so forth. I just think that for the first few months keeping a stable environment is best to help him adjust to his new home.

As for the 5 dogs and cat. Try to keep a distance from him and the animals until he has began to feel comfortable in his new surrounding. Introduce him slowly to the animals one by one and reward him with treats and affection. It may take him a while to adjust but through time and patience he should do well.

Personally I really like the kings cages, but I feel that for an eclectus it is a bit much. They don't chew on the cages and are not very destructive. So even if you went for a cheaper cage like an A&E or HQ, you would still be getting a pretty decent cage with lots of money left over for toys. Although I do have the kings cage travel carrier and LOVE it!! It really is personal preference with the cage (dome top, playtop or decorative), as long as he feels comfortable and has plenty of room to roam it should be fine.

Congrats on your new boy, hope to see some photos of him soon!! :D

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
When you bring him home, I think you should stick with one location. Whether that be your bedroom or living room. He will be nervous, scared and uneasy about his surroundings, so try to keep him in one location. This will help him adjust easier and quicker. Once he has gotten to know you, the different sights and sounds, then I you can move him from his sleeping cage to his day cage and so forth. I just think that for the first few months keeping a stable environment is best to help him adjust to his new home.

As for the 5 dogs and cat. Try to keep a distance from him and the animals until he has began to feel comfortable in his new surrounding. Introduce him slowly to the animals one by one and reward him with treats and affection. It may take him a while to adjust but through time and patience he should do well.

It really is personal preference with the cage (dome top, playtop or decorative), as long as he feels comfortable and has plenty of room to roam it should be fine.

Congrats on your new boy, hope to see some photos of him soon!! :D

I agree with this totally! I don't have an Ekkie but I do this with all my birds which i have had many different ones.

Most Reactions

Latest posts