"Flowering Pear" wood for a stand?

The_Big_Sleep

Aug 9, 2012
The Woods, Somewhere, USA
Parrots
Wilson the Green Cheek!
Hi all,

I've been looking into building a DIY "tree" stand for my GCC, and have access to a pile of tree limbs my grandparents took down this past spring. The tree in question is called a "flowering pear", with smooth bark and very nicely shaped limbs. It's been dead for long enough that it's dried but not rotting, has no insect damage, and seems like a good candidate. I haven't found it on any lists of hazardous plants but thought it was worth checking here first - are the any issues with this type of wood?

In addition, I've started cleaning up some of the branches for use and I've noticed they've had pine pitch dripped on them in certain places. I'm planning to sand off as much of the pitch as I can just for the sake of cleanliness, but it's occurred to me that the pitch might be an issue for the bird - is there anything here I should be aware of?

Thanks!

OP
T

The_Big_Sleep

Aug 9, 2012
The Woods, Somewhere, USA
Parrots
Wilson the Green Cheek!
Thanks! I see certain types of pines listed in both the "safe" and "toxic" lists, which is kind of freaking me out with the pitch on my limbs. I'm going to remove as much of it as possible, is it a major issue to be using wood that's been exposed to pine pitch??

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey big sleep, i think your talking about a "Bradford "pear which is not a real pear tree(like the pears you eat). Check and see if Bradford pears are safe. I know they are fast growing which generally equals soft wood, so may not be the best choice for perches. If safe it might make good toy parts. Only bugs i worry about are ants, termites or boring beetles won't hurt the bird, only make a mess with saw dust.

Most Reactions