Flying on airplane with bird.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Also, it is incredibly difficult to bring a parrot back I to the USA, there are a lot of very heavy regulations. My understanding is that you cannot bring more than two birds with you, and you must be able to PROVE the bird is captive bred, so if your bird does not have a closed band (meaning it is one solid ring, not one that has a split in it at all) I don't think you could bring him back. I have not looked at this in a long time, but before you do anything be SURE you can get him back into the country. Since 1992 it has been very difficult as importation of parrots is now illegal.

That said, I brought my birds with me to Hawaii, and due to quarantine issues they were required to fly in the cargo area. We flew with delta and had no issues. They ate and drank and arrived calm and seemed utterly unphased. I cut up apples and bell peppers and orange slices and strung them on zip ties through the ventilation holes. I also strung grapes the same way, and gave each bird their own millet spray (they were insanely happy as they do NOT get dry millet ona regular basis, especially a whole spray!) they had water bottles which some of them had been seen using and others had not, and they also had water dishes per regulations but those spilled before they reached the airport and could not be refilled because of the netting required by quarantine law. That is why I used the fruit - it holds so much water, especially the grapes (best to buy organic, grapes can soak up pesticides like crazy), and some of them did not understand the water bottles. They had to be in the netting in the carriers for around 24 hours by the time it was all said and done. They also had their own foot toys (no hanging toys!) and their main perch from their cage. They were comfortable and safe. I do not have any problem shipping birds cargo as long as you take precautions. Metal screws in the carrier, not plastic clips, zip tie the door shut, etc, and it should be fine. Planes without climate control in the cargo area cannot take animals anyway.

BobbyFeathers

Oct 15, 2014
Parrots
Bobby Feathers, GCC, hatch date April 10 2014
Silver Sage,
thank you for your messages, I read them a while ago and decided not to take Bobby with us...unfortunately :( I hate leaving her and I am scared she might get depressed but that is I guess the best thing we can do...since we are going to go overseas again, we will do all the paperwork super early, microchip her and get her used to the kennel...for this trip she will be taken care of by our friend who will stay at our place and she already met him and is comfortable with him...

Most Reactions