Please help with Connor the Conure-fairly new to any type of birds

Island-time

Dec 1, 2023
Parrots
Pineapple Conure
Good morning, I have a question, would there be another reason, other than Bumblefoot, that my Connor might be only holding one leg up when he is content? I have observed him for months now and just looked at his feet again this morning-there is nothing obvious that I can see. No sores, no redness, no warmth in comparison to his other foot, and no growths. He did come from Sunco pets :-( my dear son wanted him out of Petco/Petsmart and we spent $1500 for Connor, his cage, special wood for perches and at the time mixed seeds. Quickly after that our Harrison bird pellets arrived.. He is now on a diet of Harrison pellets, fresh, veggie chop and water. He gets freshwater to drink daily from a bird bottle (? Not sure what they are called) and fresh water for a bath offered twice daily left in his birdcage. He has a full Spectrum light that is slightly to the right of the top of his cage. I do take him outside in his carrier cage. He has tiny toys from Bird Tricks that I believe are safe. i’m so confused and worried. The vet wants to charge $95 just to look at his foot to start with. Thank you so much for any help anyone can offer me! Oh, and he is out of his cage seven hours a day.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Parrots often have a handed-ness, much like people. My 'zon is a left handed one, he rests on his right foot, and reaches for stuff with his left. If his foot looks OK, I would not worry overmuch. Make sure you have perches with multiple diameters like a nice tree branch would, and NO dowel perches - that is usually the cause of foot issues. I stay away from sand or cement type perches too, they are hard on the feet.

OP
I

Island-time

Dec 1, 2023
Parrots
Pineapple Conure
good morning, Wrench 13 I wanted to let you know to that mistakenly I made two accounts. one is island-time and the one I have been using is islandtime. I am going to try and delete island – time. Thank you so much for replying to me, and that is what I have decided may be the issue! I will schedule a vet appointment, but feel that an emergency appointment(over two hours away) is not warranted. again, thank you so much for your help! Islandtime

Most Reactions

Latest posts