Folger behavior... now flying attacks...

OP
jenphilly

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Folger actually grabs perches and pushes it around if you try to use it to step up or any other reason and kind of gives you the want you gonna do now look (complete with imaginary eyebrow raise):rolleyes: It's actually really funny:D Who knew birds were so strong:p

Folger isn't scared of the towel he just isn't fond. I don't think I've met a bird that loves the towel! I usually wrap him in one after a bath and he doesn't mind. Will actually sit under it to dry off.

Folger gets away just fine with his clipped wings. Displayed by bath time yesterday where he decided he didn't want to corporate and I had to fetch him from the other side of the living room after he flew through the kitchen and then scrambled under the couch. Where he proceeded to stick his tongue out at me.

It took me a couple minutes to respond to this cause yesterday was quite funny here.... Folger hates water, in the tub, in the sink, in a bowl, on the floor, sprayed (wonder if we could make a Ham and Eggs rhyme out of that)... anyway, he needs regular misting and water as well as aloe juice to help with the skin. But yesterday was literally a catch me if you can. And the best part, he was not running like in fear, it was literally him making her bob and weave and dodge to get to him. He ran by me and squawked at me, almost like yelling 'too busy to stop, be back later for a bite'... We have recliner sofa and Tor leaves her side popped all the time, he ran under there and would not come out, she tried using the broom handle to ask him to step up on cause it was long enough... He bite it and pushed it away... I didn't see the tongue stick out part but completely believe he did... I think he is part Gremlin and part Too... anyone remember Stripe??? Yep, that character was based on Folger :)

And yes, we do keep our sense of humor about this. For one, he responds to laughing and happy sounds, so there is alot of silliness with Folger, it is a door that he lets open and he is just a goofy happy cockatoo for a short time when he's carrying on and clowning around, so we use that much more then what you may do with a too that is scared and needs more quiet time. Quiet time is more nervous for Folger.

Now, the thought of using other birds to teach Folger... that was my first thought and first thing I tried. Victoria has other birds caged in the same room. And that includes her sun boy Loki, whom I just fuss over and love like crazy (hey, these are the only grandkids I am getting, so I get to spoil the birds!!). I would go in and take out Loki, fuss over him, play with him and talk to Folger. Yeah, that made Folger want to eat Loki as well... talk about guilt by association... He sees Ivory interacting with us, but he is not a flock bird, he does not care what the other birds are doing. Even at the shelter, the most interacting he did was to learn his infamous 'woooo and wing flap' from Seymour, a LSC that lived next to him. And Folger is scary aggressive with some of the birds. He did not seem to mind little Monkey sitting on Tor's shoulder, but anything larger put him into attack mode. He dislikes Ivory, and don't worry, feeling is mutual, she does not like him at all either.

We did have an interesting moment this morning. Tor had her sitter job early, and when I got up, Folger was still covered (we only cover the toos, just helps both at night). Anyway, I went in to uncover him, I started talking to him before I moved the cover. When it was back, his head was sticking out between two fleece toys, literally all I could see was head. And you could see the confusion on his face... shes uncovering me, am I nice to her, oh what to do... he talked to me a little. Then when I turned to leave the room he charged the cage at me. But, hey, we had a moment where he was happy to see me (well happy to see the cage uncovered), so thinking I might add that to my list of things to do. He likes that morning moment, so I'll stick my nose into doing that for him and maybe add an almond to the routine... maybe he'll eat this one and not beat the tar out of it and throw it back.

We do appreciate everyone's thoughts and suggestions especially when you've been done a similar road. We believe in time he'll come around, but we are willing to work on his time, so for now, I'll enjoy him from a short distance. Its usually positive funny interaction, so sooner or later...

I feel like Urekle in the old show... I'm wearing you down, baby, I'm wearing you down..... think that may show my age!!!!

okay here's a link for anyone who has no clue... Urkel had a major thing for the neighbor's daughter and always wearing her down to fall for him... That's me with Folger now....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPfNIGSdTjI"]I'm wearing you down, baby! - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Most Reactions