Food Confetti?

Sarahtheumbrella

Jun 22, 2012
Parrots
a beautiful umbrella cockatoo
Today she has just been pushing it with the whole food confetti. It is not when she is eating, it is just when she feels like it. She just goes over to the food bowl of pellets (and only pellets) and throws the food up in the air, and often I come home to find a HUGE party of pellets on the floor. Today I filled it up and she threw it down in front of me, so I filled it back up, and within two hours it is was on the floor once more.

However,she always throws her pellets when I open up trash bags, because the noise of throwing food mimics the sound of me opening a trash bag.

Should I fill it back up again? Is this normal? she has been on (the horribly evil) seed and pellet diet since she was born, and although I try to wean her off of seeds, she obviously doesn't show interest in other foods.

There are a few products out there that "can" prevent this mess, but do any of them work? At the bird fair there is some type of bird food saver, but it was about $150...:53:

P.S. to any wondering we had a wonderful ten minute out of cage petting session today, but I still have not picked her up yet.:41:

Parrotmamma

May 2, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Crackers ~ a Green cheek conure , Cosmo~ a Timneh African Grey
Mine do that when they do not like certain pellets. Have you tried different pellets?

OP
Sarahtheumbrella

Sarahtheumbrella

Jun 22, 2012
Parrots
a beautiful umbrella cockatoo
No, the pellets I give her a found in almost every store, fruitblend flavor zupreem, do you have any better suggestions?

Thank ya'll in advance~

Parrotmamma

May 2, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Crackers ~ a Green cheek conure , Cosmo~ a Timneh African Grey
I had to try several different ones on mine . My GCC likes TOPS totally organics and Higgins Intune. My TAG likes Harrisons High potency and Higgins Intune. I have tried others but mine like these the best. I usually give them some of each and I also give them a good seed mix too along with fresh fruits and veggies.

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
Oscar does that sometimes, if he does i put fruit and veggies in dish dish and fill it with pellets later. you can try birdie bread or not give her any seed and when shes hungry give her fruit, shes bound to try it. You can also offer it different ways, pureed, mashed, chopped, sliced on a mandaline, frozen, on a wooden kabob, just be creative :) Also, for her behavior, you could try clicker training her.Also, i heard some cockatoos get pushy when on the floor so try working with her on a T-stand. good luck :)

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I would only fill it up once a day...

If she looks hungry, offer some natural foods, such a fruit and vegies.

SpringCottageParrot

Jun 6, 2012
The Weald of Kent
Parrots
Casper a blue fronted Amazon
Casper is on a diet, trying to get him down to 400g and he is still over 450g.
So we only give him 10g of seed (no sunflower) or mixed pellets twice a day. It looks a tiny amount in the bottom of the bowl but it is obviously sufficient as he is not loosing much weight. It shows how much we used to waste giving him half a bowl full every day, most of which he used to push out of the bowl whilst rummaging for the stuff he likes. Now he eats nearly everything. He also gets lots of fresh fruit and veg. He seems to get the moisture he needs from that as he very rarely goes to his water bowl.
We also give him a cuttle fish bone regularly, most of which he just grinds away so that the bottom of the cage looks like there has been an explosion in a meringue factory. :rolleyes:

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
If she enjoys throwing things around, why don't you get her a toy that allows that?

Have a look below for some examples:
Forage Beads - Large - Foraging Toys - My Parrot Shop - Parrot Toys and Parrot Supplies in Australia
Round Wood Beads - 2 Large - Toy Parts & Hardware - My Parrot Shop - Parrot Toys and Parrot Supplies in Australia
Native Seeds & Pods

I've purposefully selected large foraging style toys that you can put in a container. Make sure that it's not a food container though. Use something new so that she can associate different containers for what is "throwing" and what is "eating".

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
[...]

There are a few products out there that "can" prevent this mess, but do any of them work? At the bird fair there is some type of bird food saver, but it was about $150...:53:

P.S. to any wondering we had a wonderful ten minute out of cage petting session today, but I still have not picked her up yet.:41:

Something like this MIGHT work
Clean Cup Feed & Water Cup Large - Accessories - My Parrot Shop - Parrot Toys and Parrot Supplies in Australia

But I wouldn't recommend that particular product - too small, and would probably be destroyed. (It's designed for smaller birds)

You'll want an XL size or larger. Ensure there is enough room to move her head around

Most Reactions

Latest posts