Food question..

C3mommy

Mar 14, 2018
Nampa, Idaho
Parrots
Quaker Parrot- Gamora
I made up some eggs, brown rice, mixed veggies, and peppers yesterday for my QP. I made extra, do I just reheat in microwave or serve cold?

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
This all depends on what your individual bird likes. Birds are very much like people in that they like their food cut a certain size or shape, maybe they like it mashed or mixed up, maybe not. Maybe they like it cold, maybe warmed-up. It's just a matter of trying different things and seeing what your individual bird likes. Same as finding out what foods he likes. Not all birds are going to like all veggies or all fruit. Only when you try different foods will you find out what your bird likes and what he doesn't like.

Trying out different "Chop" recipes is a great way to take note of what veggies, fruits, nuts, grains, etc. that your bird likes, because they contain so many different ingredients that you're able to see what things in each "Chop" recipe that your bird eats, and what he leaves behind when he's done. So if you take-note of what parts of the "Chop" he eats and what he leaves, then you can actually find a bunch of different types of food that he likes and doesn't like all at one time. And a lot of the time when they don't eat a certain veggie or fruit it's not because they don't like it, it's simply due to the way that it's prepared, or more often the size that it's cut to.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I’ll echo Ellen. Some like it hot, some like it cold...

Some like it in the pot 9 days old.

Experiement and see what works best for you and yours.

OP
C3mommy

C3mommy

Mar 14, 2018
Nampa, Idaho
Parrots
Quaker Parrot- Gamora
Also can they eat dried chiles that you find in the mexican section of the grocery store? :gcc:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I heat mine but not very much...like, luke-warm temp...I notice that my cockatoo gets "shivery" if I feed her fridge-cold food, and in the AM when it is about 73 degrees in here, I get concerned because she acts like she is cold. If it is 78 or something in my house, then I don't worry so much about it. Mine sits by the screen door (open air-flow) much of the day and then I do turn the AC down at night to 72 ish...so dk if that helps.
Sometimes warm, mushy food can trigger hormonal responses in birds, but mine doesn't seem to care. The bigger issue is that she wants to clean the mush off of her beak using my eye! lol (she wants to wipe it off on the eye bone that connects to the bridge of my nose....GROSS...and of course, she is fixated on this...Along with trying to grab my (tiny) pimples lol....

Last edited:

Quincy69

May 7, 2018
Is there anyone on the forum that makes chop and sells it?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
To answer the OP's question, yes, you can feed your birds dried Chili's, they usually absolutely love dried Chili's, they tear them open and eat the seeds. Birds in-general do not possess the receptors for capsaicin, so no pepper taste at all "hot" to them. So they get the pepper taste with no heat, and they tend to love them all, from Bell Peppers to Chili's to other...

As far as people making different types of parrot chop and selling them, I've not ever seen this, at least not on this forum. It would be a bit of a pain because it would have to be over-nighted and shipped with cold-packs to keep it fresh...I'd try doing a Google search for "fresh parrot chop for sale" and see what pops-up, I'm sure someone does it. However, the food forum here has hundreds of really great and creative chop recipes for you to try.

OP
C3mommy

C3mommy

Mar 14, 2018
Nampa, Idaho
Parrots
Quaker Parrot- Gamora
Thank you! I am going to go to the store later and get her/him some chiles! So any dried pepper is ok?
To answer the OP's question, yes, you can feed your birds dried Chili's, they usually absolutely love dried Chili's, they tear them open and eat the seeds. Birds in-general do not possess the receptors for capsaicin, so no pepper taste at all "hot" to them. So they get the pepper taste with no heat, and they tend to love them all, from Bell Peppers to Chili's to other...

As far as people making different types of parrot chop and selling them, I've not ever seen this, at least not on this forum. It would be a bit of a pain because it would have to be over-nighted and shipped with cold-packs to keep it fresh...I'd try doing a Google search for "fresh parrot chop for sale" and see what pops-up, I'm sure someone does it. However, the food forum here has hundreds of really great and creative chop recipes for you to try.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts