Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
So I was eating a protein bar, when all of a sudden I remembered Pilsbury Food Sticks :11:!

For those of you who haven't heard of it, they were a sort of predecessor to the modern energy bar or nutrition bar. Marketed by Pilsbury as "balanced nutrition" in the form of an approximately 4-5" Tootsie Roll sort of thing, apparently there was evidence (ingredients on box) to prove otherwise. I read an article saying that the first three ingredients in the food sticks are sugar, corn syrup, and partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (with preservatives).

Pilsbury originally called them Space Food Sticks because they were developed for US astronauts as a convenient source of "food". The name was changed to Food Sticks a little later. I don't remember them being called Space Food Sticks, but I remember my mom bought Food Sticks for me from the supermarket when I was a kid. I still remember what they taste like. Mmm, remember those first 3 ingredients :32:.

Anyone remember those in the 70's? I read that they were still around in the 80's, though I wasn't aware of that. As a teenager I had discovered more exciting sources of sugar, corn syrup, and partially hydrogenated vegetable oil :52:. Thankfully, I eat healthy nowdays!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/35/15/59/351559d588c4cbbb681b4e83bd2450db.jpg

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I don't remember them sadly, and we ate a lot of junk as kids!! (We were definitely indulged in every kiddie cereal and punch and snack cake). Honestly I still love Pop Tarts but will not eat them because they are high calorie junk.

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
I TOTALLY remember those! We never had them in our house, but a neighbor friend did so I always asked for one when I went over there to play - LOL!

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I TOTALLY remember those! We never had them in our house, but a neighbor friend did so I always asked for one when I went over there to play - LOL!

Haha that's cute that you always asked for one.

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Doesn't anyone else who was in the U.S. in the 70's and 80's remember Food Sticks?!

MyFlock

Apr 15, 2015
Parrots
Conures, 2 Red bellied parrots lovebirds.
Hmmmm no but I was just a kid In the 70s. I do remember my friends mom drinking pink canned Tab cola! Lol....we should do a thread on 70s food, music or other things hehe

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Doesn't anyone else who was in the U.S. in the 70's and 80's remember Food Sticks?!

Sorry Julie, before my time, but they certainly look....interesting:D

Hmmmm no but I was just a kid In the 70s. I do remember my friends mom drinking pink canned Tab cola! Lol....we should do a thread on 70s food, music or other things hehe

I grew up in the 90's and I totally remember a lady who watched me a lot drinking TAB. Sometimes she would let me have one. I liked it for no other reason than the can was pink:p

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I don't remember Pillsbury Food Sticks, Julie, and believe me I was a voracious consumer of junk-food in that decade! Perhaps it was distributed regionally, though I was in NY during the first 4 years and in SoCal the balance of the decade. More likely I was just fixated on Pop Tarts, Mr. Goodbars, Chunkys, Pixie Sticks, etc etc!

Lol....we should do a thread on 70s food, music or other things hehe

That would be an excellent idea! A thread each for the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's. Most of us could contribute to one or more, while learning a lot about pop culture from the others!

BTW, Tab is still available from selected sources. Yuck!!

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
There are photos (slides actually) of my mom waking up to feed me (as a newborn) with a cigarette in one hand and a tab in the other. Well if that doesn't define me as an early 70s baby.....lol. I tried Tab recently and couldn't stand it. Yuck.

MyFlock

Apr 15, 2015
Parrots
There are photos (slides actually) of my mom waking up to feed me (as a newborn) with a cigarette in one hand and a tab in the other. Well if that doesn't define me as an early 70s baby.....lol. I tried Tab recently and couldn't stand it. Yuck.

OH yes! Cigarettes and Tab cola seemed to go hand in hand in the 70s :p

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
I remember Food Sticks! I have a younger sister who was a SUPER picky eater. She practically lived on those things. I thought they were gross - I remember them as having a really odd texture that left your teeth feeling greasy.

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie

I was just a kid then too. I remember seeing Tab cola, but I don't think I've ever had one.

That would be a fun thread :)

Sorry Julie, before my time, but they certainly look....interesting:D

I grew up in the 90's and I totally remember a lady who watched me a lot drinking TAB. Sometimes she would let me have one. I liked it for no other reason than the can was pink:p

At first I thought you meant that the lady would sit and watch YOU drink a lot of Tab hahaha. I didn't realize it was pink in color. Clearly, it was marketed to keep men away from it? LOL

OMG David that was great! That cracked me up :D

I don't remember Pillsbury Food Sticks, Julie, and believe me I was a voracious consumer of junk-food in that decade! Perhaps it was distributed regionally, though I was in NY during the first 4 years and in SoCal the balance of the decade. More likely I was just fixated on Pop Tarts, Mr. Goodbars, Chunkys, Pixie Sticks, etc etc!

That would be an excellent idea! A thread each for the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's. Most of us could contribute to one or more, while learning a lot about pop culture from the others!

BTW, Tab is still available from selected sources. Yuck!!

I assume they distributed them nationally... maybe you saw them on the shelf, but you ignored them in favor of the more blatant forms of sugar and saturated fats? :)

That would be an awesome idea for an OT thread Scott! We can use more "just for fun" threads. We used to have them quite often here, but lately not so much.

Sadly that was pretty common! The cigarettes, not the Tab necessarily lol.

I remember Food Sticks! I have a younger sister who was a SUPER picky eater. She practically lived on those things. I thought they were gross - I remember them as having a really odd texture that left your teeth feeling greasy.

Yikes lol... then for her sake, it was a good thing when they were discontinued! :52:

Last edited:

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Goffin Too, U2, Scarlet Mac, B&G Mac, DYH Zon, CAG and a
Birdbrained Wife!
Ahhh, Tab, Fresca, Charles Chips and of course the 70's version of Stone Soup: Sangria with fruit punch and whatever fruit and other stuff everyone brought to the party.

On the subject of poptarts, there was a predecessor. It was basically the same but it was a spiral and you just had to eat it following the spiral... Can't remember what there were called. I liked them more than the boring Poptart, more fun to eat.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
I usually feel like I'm getting old when I reminisce about stuff I grew up but I feel like a youngin' here! Haha.

I'm a 90's kid, so you should have seen me when French Toast Crunch came back out, I went through a ton of boxes.

The one thing I miss the most, which I doubt will ever come back was the precursor to Hershey's Cookies and Cream bar, the Chocolate with mint cookie that tasted like thin mints. If I was good, my parents would always buy me one when we went grocery shopping, I can still taste it.

I also regularly use my Batman Forever glass mug that came from McDonalds, it's one of my prized possessions!

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Haha, I still feel young. Especially when the 70's are talked about, and I don't have a clue what life was like from an adult perspective. I remember I had to have a satin disco jacket like everyone else lol. Little did I know then what disco even was in it's heyday :D

MyFlock

Apr 15, 2015
Parrots
Ah yes..Disco. My grandma had a photo on her shelf of my uncle dressed in his John Travolta outfit, had it up for many years too. I remember him going off to the discos on the weekends while I sat home watching the Loveboat and Fantasy island lol....omg! Some of this stuff just seems like it was yesterday! Time really does fly by doesnt it?

Pop rocks- were a big hit and I believe they still have them. Sanka instant coffee for the adults. Lots of orange, green and gold colors. Umm disco duck!

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
As the youngest kid in my family I can almost get a glimpse of "being cool in the 70s" (I never even made age 10 in that decade so I was not cool). But my siblings and their friends were teenagers and I tried so hard to be part of that world. I still love 70s fashion. Lol I tried to get all made up and tag along to Studio 54......

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Ah yes..Disco. My grandma had a photo on her shelf of my uncle dressed in his John Travolta outfit, had it up for many years too. I remember him going off to the discos on the weekends while I sat home watching the Loveboat and Fantasy island lol....omg! Some of this stuff just seems like it was yesterday! Time really does fly by doesnt it?

Pop rocks- were a big hit and I believe they still have them. Sanka instant coffee for the adults. Lots of orange, green and gold colors. Umm disco duck!

LOL @ the John Travolta outfit :)... Hey, what people dress up in for Halloween these days was a 'serious' fashion statement back then haha.

They brought back Pop Rocks maybe 10 years ago?

As the youngest kid in my family I can almost get a glimpse of "being cool in the 70s" (I never even made age 10 in that decade so I was not cool). But my siblings and their friends were teenagers and I tried so hard to be part of that world. I still love 70s fashion. Lol I tried to get all made up and tag along to Studio 54......

I had no glimpse into the "cool" adult world back then... I don't have any siblings, and my parents are 36 and 40 years older than I am, and they're very conservative, so they weren't exactly cool. Or groovy, or whatever lol.

I do remember absolutely hating all my clothes back then *shudder*, although now I like some of the 70's styles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_54 It says Brooke Shields on the list of famous regulars at Studio 54... but she's ONLY 50 now. So she was going there as a kid? You
say your siblings were teens... didn't they have a lower age limit?! Imagine all the drug use in there too.

Last edited:

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
Remember, Brooke Shields was a model and actress as a young girl. I'm sure she was hanging out with older people and tagging along to clubs and such. I went to Studio 54 in the eighties, I was a teenager but easily passed for older and they weren't so strict about checking IDs back then. It was kind of a dive, but that's because by the time I was able to get in it was well past it's prime.

Most Reactions

Latest posts