Food/water

eliholtman

Sep 13, 2017
Cincinnati
Parrots
Kiwi the 'keet
Yako the 'keet
So kiwis been home for a few days now and I've only seen him eat millet and he'll try to drink water off of his toys when I give him a spray shower but other than that I haven't seen him drink or eat his food I have two water dispensers and one food and I put millet on top of food and I've seen him drink from water on the side of his cage but not the one that is by the bottom of the cage like his food what should I do????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

syakti

Dec 15, 2017
NY
Parrots
Hydutt (GCC - 4.5 years old) and Hero (Budgie - 3 years old)
He will need some time to adjust to his new setting. It is very normal that he is not eating or drinking much. I would not put the food or the water to the bottom of the cage yet since he may be scared to move around a lot. I would locate them somewhere that is easy to reach with one short move for him. Try not to disturb him a lot with spray baths and stuff since everything is new to him, it will stress him. And remember, birds are very good at hiding their stress and sickness. First let him settle (like 2-3 weeks) then bound -in my opinion-

And, what do you mean with water dispenser? Is it like the ones that they use for hamsters ? MOST of the birds don't know how to use those, I would put a cup for a start in addition to that dispenser.

And what kind of food are you using? Only millets and seeds?

Last edited:

whitejory97

Dec 3, 2017
Media
Waukegan illinois
Parrots
New senegal parrot_named charlie_3 years old_parakeet-named Birdie-
Parakeet named-meowy-my son
Named him - not me-
12 week old green. Cheeck conure named Lucifer
That belongs to my son
Maybe he don't like the food?
I buy my parakeet the more expensive food-fiesta-
And they ear better-and change the food completely
Often-like every day-

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I wouldn't necessarily consider "Fiesta" to be a healthy diet... birds need variety, which includes fresh foods. If they aren't eating a diet with plenty of fresh foods, then pellets need to be a part of the diet.

For budgies, a dry diet shouldn't consist of more than 50/50 seeds to pellets - with as much fresh foods as they'll eat. Sprouted seeds (not from the bird food!) can also be a source of fresh foods.

New birds are often scared and height equals safety. If they must travel down to eat, then they'll feel even more insecure because there is no flock to watch out for them. It's best to place the dishes where it's most easiest for them to eat and drink until they become comfortable within their environment.

OP
eliholtman

eliholtman

Sep 13, 2017
Cincinnati
Parrots
Kiwi the 'keet
Yako the 'keet
It's not one for hamsters I just couldn't think of rightword for it it's like a cup turned upside down with a bottom opening that holds the water

OP
eliholtman

eliholtman

Sep 13, 2017
Cincinnati
Parrots
Kiwi the 'keet
Yako the 'keet
And he has now started to eat and drink now I guess I was just worried is all and should I still wait on showers If he seems to like them??

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
if he enjoys the showers then there's nothing wrong giving them, just make sure it is enjoyment and not panic you're seeing

Most Reactions

Latest posts