For Those Who Clip

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Freddie has been getting more assertive to the point where it is becoming a problem for me. He bit hard yesterday to the point of bringing blood, and again today where he left a "beak print" in my arm. One incident was when I moved him from night cage to day cage, and one where I was moving him to his stand. He can fly again now...so I am choosing to clip him again. Although I allow him choices, there are times when I need to be the one in control here. I'm assuming that clipped feathers have molted out, and new grown in. I plan on towelling tomorrow, and reclipping. If just one or two feathers have grown in, should I clip just those? Is there any point in shortening the feathers already clipped the last time?

Last edited:

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
I would clip the first 5-6 feathers evenly. You need to make sure the new feathers are completely in and not showing a blood vein.

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
Agree. You want an even clip. Of at last primary feathers. I always have a clotting pen nearby when I clip.

OP
SharonC

SharonC

May 26, 2010
I've just finished...no problems! Thanks!

Most Reactions

Latest posts