Foraging toys/clipping

halogen

May 18, 2013
Media
Wilmette
Parrots
Arya-Cockatiel
Tyrion-Cockatiel
Hello all, I was thinking of making my cockatiel Arya some foraging toys. She's never used them, and when I put them out around the house, she doesn't bother with them, even if I know she's hungry. When school starts up again, I want to use them to keep her busy while I'm away. What are some DIY or purchased toys you've had success with?

Additionally, I've been thinking about leaving her unclipped after her next molt. I have dogs who stay on the second floor, so Arya has the run of the upper floor and basement. The way our house is designed, she can't get to the second floor clipped or not. I don't anticipate any issues with the dogs, and our windows are all screened. The more I've thought about it, the less it makes sense to clip her if she can't get out without a lot of effort. Do you think I should keep her clipped in the future? (I know it's a bit of a personal question, but I wanted your guys advice on the subject first.)

Thanks! Halogen

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I think I clipped would be much safer just in case she ever crosses paths with the dogs...as diligent as we can be, things happen. Also a flighted bird is a healthier bird. :)

Most Reactions