Forever in my heart Buster

Amandastander

Jul 23, 2012
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Buster turquoisegrey IRN male, Piper buttercup IRN female. 2 Budgies who will soon be relocating to my brothers home.
I feel like the worst pet owner on earth! I lost my Busty Boy yesterday! He was basking in the sun, I quickly left the room upon returning he was gone, I searched and called for him, I found him outside in the dogs kennel, alive but seriously injured. Don't know how they got him, after his scare he never went close to the gate, the sun must have been more appealing than usual and he must have decided to go closer : ( . We wrapped him and gave him a tonic for nervous system support, he calmed down and even walked around a bit. As soon as my husband came from work we took him to the vet for an examination, we suspected a broken wing. The vet said nothings broken and after a thorough examination said Buster has bad internal bruising, we should continue to keep him warm, he gave him a Baytril injection and a Prednisolone injection, we got home, he had some water, fiddled in the basket a bit, and had a long sleep which seemed to be his most pain free sleep since the incident. Upon waking, he looked for me, happy when he saw me, I stroked his head, he made himself comfortable, lifted his one wing, looked at me again, and then he was gone!!! I was so optimistic that he would recover. My hearts broken and yes, I completely blame myself and always will. I feel like getting rid of all my animals and I feel completely incompetent. He was a rescue and made amazing progress, last week he approached me for the first time and stepped up onto my hand. Will always remember him, saying to himself Busty gooood boy! Singing himself to sleep with dudu baba dudu busty, peeking at me in the mornings from under the cage cover saying a perky hello. This is so hard. Busty, I love you always, and always will, I can never forgive myself for not being there in those few seconds to protect you. And yes, Busty, you are a goood boy. Love you my Busty baby

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
oh...my...god... I'm so sorry this happened to you! Believe me, stop saying "I will always blame myself", because it makes the pain worse. It really isn't your fault. Everyone makes mistakes, please don't pin it on yourself. I am sorry for your loss, but don't sell your other animals, they love you so much and know what you are going through. They will comfort you. My deepest condolences, <3

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I'm very sorry to hear that but you must be strong for your other animals. I know it's hard to accept right now but you must. I lost one of my birds to my dog and I blame myself for a very very long time and I was heart broken. But I had to be strong for my other babies cause I know they needed me especially some were on meds and I had to care for them. But I broke down when I'm out of the house and I started crying away. Have a good cry!!!! I totally feel your pain but it's a mistake and we will always remember never to repeat it again. I wish you well!!!!

OP
Amandastander

Amandastander

Jul 23, 2012
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Buster turquoisegrey IRN male, Piper buttercup IRN female. 2 Budgies who will soon be relocating to my brothers home.
He was the best little boy I could ask for. This is so hard for me. And Piper keeps calling out his name looking for him. I don't know how I am going to pack up his cage and toys : (. Oh God, nothing I think or say or do can change that I wasn't there when he needed my protection. I have failed him in the worst possible way. I honestly don't know what to say. The dogs I don't even want to see, I am so disappointed in myself

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I know the feeling....I didn't want to be around my dog what so ever but I did rescue him and he was ill so I had no choice but to give him his meds on a daily basis and took care of him. It took me a long long time to get over it...It's not easy I know but you eventually have to forgive yourself and your dog! Just remember it is their natural instinct!

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And pair of African Greys
That's so sad, sorry for your lost.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh my gosh, I am SO SO sorry for your loss. :(

PLEASE stop blaming yourself. Accident can happen!!

Many many hugs to you!!!

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
So sorry!! Your story just made me cry for you. What a terrible feeling, but your bird passed away peacefully, with you, not alone or suffering. It was just a horrible accident and honestly it could have happened to most any of us!!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Oh Amandastander! Buster could have had a much worse outcome than he did! You took care of him and tried your very best to help him (and you *did* help him and he knew it!) Instead of focussing on the horrible accident, try to be happy that Buster came into your life at all. For reasons we don't understand, fate had decided this was his time and so he passed. Before that, you were his loving companion who made a huge difference in his life. I see so many good things that happened for both of you because you managed to meet. Do try and focus on those!

None of us can foresee an accident. You can beat yourself over the head with 'what ifs', but the fact remains, you're not magic and the awful thing happened despite your usual vigilance. Sending warm hugs to you tonight from me and my flock. XXOO

Rest in peace, little Buster. You were a good bird!

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
So sorry for your loss , I am on the edge of crying . I know the feeling , I always have dreams like that and when I wake up I am shaking scared and crying . I always run downstairs to check on them and find out its just a dream . Again I am SO sorry for your loss . But you have to be strong for your other fids , fate just decided its his time to go, I'm sure he's in a better place right now . You did your part , you rescued him , loved him , and even almost saved him when you found him . You took to the vet , gave him vaccines , and watched him . That smile you saw was a smile of happiness , comfort , that he was saved by such a caring owner that would do this for him instead of being left to die outside . Don't be sad , be even stronger .

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
My deepest sympathies on the loss of your beloved Buster. Accidents happen to all of us at one time or another. It will get better in time. My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.
I am SO very sorry...i know how difficult this is for you, having lost my baby Wilbur to our dog earlier this year. I have no words of wisdom for you, but my heart goes out to you. (((hugs)))

OP
Amandastander

Amandastander

Jul 23, 2012
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Thank you to all of you for your kind words. I will always miss him dearly. So does Piper. With all the sadness I'm feeling I still yesterday went and took in a cockatiel baby that's in a bad way(neglect) and I believe he will help keep my mind busy, I just couldn't leave him there. As for my dogs, I am going to put a net up on the security gate. I have also moved my fids into my bedroom where they are further away from the dogs. Thank all of you guys so much for your love and support.

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
It will be three weeks tomorrow, that I lost my beautiful baby Amazon, Bacci, to my dogs. The guilt is immeasurable. I feel so bad for you, because I know EXACTLY how you feel, and it is just a nightmare. I will never not blame myself. I hope you have strong, understanding people around you. My amazing boyfriend, who was Bacci's Birdy Daddy and our other baby bird are the ONLY things that have made life bearable for me. I wish you the best, and if you need anyone to talk to, who completely understands what you are going through, you can always message me.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I lost one of my babies to one of my dogs too....it happened right in front of me and I couldn't save him..... I'm very sorry for your baby!!!!!! :(

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I am so sorry for your loss! you just never know if and when some accident will happen...speaking from experience.

Accidents are just that, an accident, and you blaming yourself will not help you heal.

It's the process of going thru the agony of loosing a pet.

It will get better, and easier in time, you know what they say 'time heals all wounds'....now I'm not sure if that is true or not, but with time the pain does subside, but we will never forget.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
I'm sad for your loss. Please please please, stop telling yourself that you are to blame. You must stop. It was an accident. YOu had nothing but love for Buster. That's what you have to tell yourself so that you can move past this and be with your other birds and family. Please don't be so hard on yourself.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am so sorry for your loss:( My heart is breaking for you.

Most Reactions

Latest posts