Found Budgie, Need Care Advice

Bbillingsley

Aug 22, 2014
Hello!

Last night I found a Budgie on a side walk in Korea Town, Los Angeles. The poor dear was terrified and my boyfriend to just snatch her (don't worry, it was gentle, but I'm sure scary for her) and put her in the travel cage because she wouldn't respond to any calls or let us pick her up and after and hour of trying and some alley cats edging nearer we decided it was the best option.

She is still very scared but did eats some seeds last night after I covered her cage. She seemed to be very malnourished and dehydrated due to having plant matter in her poop and no presence of urine. However, today her poop seems to be normal.

I don't know much about caring for Budgies, however, I have taken care of parotlets, Conures, and an Eclectus before so I know how to care for a bird. However, I would love specific advice on caring for her.

She isn't eating well today, and won't touch any fruits or veggies, (which means I'm guessing she lived off of seeds her whole life). She is still drinking water and very occasionally eating seeds but barely.

I'm not sure how well cared for she was before because her talons are extremely long and she has major cere growth. (see picture)

TDqjLKJ

5rk7dC4

Anyone have advice, ideas, or precautions?

Also, I don't currently have birds in my household so disease spreading won't be a problem.

Thanks!!!!!

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Jack- 5 year old pacific parrotlet
That cere looks like she has mites or an infection, if she won't eat I would take her to a vet to get checked out.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Aw, poor little thing. She's lucky you (a bird person) came to the rescue! :)

At least she is drinking, and eating at least a little. As you know, if she stops eating and drinking that's a bad sign. Keep her warm, and maybe cage covered on a couple sides for security. That's about all you can do for now while you decide what you're going to do with her. Are you going to try and find an owner through signs or internet? But then I wonder if she was let go on purpose as unfortunately many people do with Budgies. Of course a vet visit would be important if you're planning on keeping her.

Good luck. Please keep us posted.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Poor little budgie! I would give her what she been accustomed to eating, to get her strength back, and then you can add more variety later when she settles in. Give her a good quality seed mix, then when she's settled and trusts you, you can introduce sprouts, greens, and other stuff. She's most likely very shocked...who knows what she's been thru?

OP
B

Bbillingsley

Aug 22, 2014
Thanks everyone

I've posted on Parrot Alert, Parrot 911, and Craiglist trying to find the owner and I'm putting up flyers in the area I found her. Hopefully the owner will turn up, but if not I will keep her. I'm planning on taking her to the vet next week if the owner doesn't show up by then. I just want to try to keep her healthy until then.

Anyone know any good mash recipes for Budgies? Or something I can mix some healthy stuff into some seeds?

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
I second the mites...and she's just a baby -- you can still see the bars on her forehead. Poor thing!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
She's a beautiful little bird. So glad you found her. If the owners don't show up a vet exam will tell you a lot about her condition and you'll know where to start. Poor thing, I'd let her have seed until she's a little more settled. Best of luck and please keep us updated.

Most Reactions