found injured love bird...help

diegor324

May 3, 2012
Hello everyone, I found a small parrot yesterday jumping across my yard, I captured it to see if i could help...after doing some research last night i figured it was a lovebird. It is extremely injured on its back and maybe under its wings, no one in the neighborhood claims it so now im wondering what to do...i read up on feather plucking and im not sure if this is a case of that. i know a vet is a priority, but i cant find a "bird" vet in my area...so im asking anyone know what this is and any suggestions thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20120503_150748.jpg
    IMG_20120503_150748.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,402
  • IMG_20120503_150738.jpg
    IMG_20120503_150738.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 2,260
  • IMG_20120503_140308.jpg
    IMG_20120503_140308.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,060

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Try searching for the avian association vets. They have a list and exotic vets seem decent usually. Bird needs treatment now or it will die from infection, blood loss or shock. Give it some water in a shallow dish, millet and food for it. Im on my phone so can't help much. Hoping mikey or someone cones along soon.

Thankyou for bringing it in, looks like it has had a real rough time x

OP
D

diegor324

May 3, 2012
Thanks, my gf mom had an extra bird cage and some food so he or she is in there with water the wound doesn't seem to bleeding however I did find blood in the cage today.

vicky2200

Mar 24, 2012
Michigan
Parrots
Cockatiels and Parakeets
That looks like plucking (but its hard to say from pictures.) If you cant find a vet soon (within an hour or so) contact the humane society in your area.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
That looks like plucking (but its hard to say from pictures.) If you cant find a vet soon (within an hour or so) contact the humane society in your area.

I think its been henpecked. Keep us all updated xx

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
If you found him outside, there's a high chance he almost become a predators dinner but was able to escape. I would highly suggest in finding a vet to check him out in case he have any internal injury. Lovebirds are feisty little birds that won't give up without a fight....there's stuffs you can use to treat the cut but still, in this case a vet is your best bet....

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
Aww the poor little thing. Where are you located? One of us might know a vet in your area.

beckybird

Nov 16, 2011
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Lola (green cheek conure)
Connor (yellow sided green cheek conure)
Dorian "Buzzy" (senegal)
omg, not feather plucking. Escaped attack. Please find local vet! If this is a cat scratch the bird can die quickly from bacteria! Many vets can refer you to a vet that can see birds free because you found it and rescued it outside. No time to waste.

osnyder

Sep 26, 2011
Philadelphia
Parrots
Stitch the Blue Crown Conure
looks like something or someone tried to chomp the little guy. Thanks for taking him in! How's his energy and behavior?

OP
D

diegor324

May 3, 2012
the humane society in my area is closed already, and when i called my regular vet they referred me to a vet a long distance away. im in riverside county in california. the bird has been eatting and drinking, chirps, seems to be breathing heavily though( not sure if normal in birds). he is what appears to be frighten, scared. but honeslty im afraid to touch him with my hands.

OP
D

diegor324

May 3, 2012
If you found him outside, there's a high chance he almost become a predators dinner but was able to escape. I would highly suggest in finding a vet to check him out in case he have any internal injury. Lovebirds are feisty little birds that won't give up without a fight....there's stuffs you can use to treat the cut but still, in this case a vet is your best bet....

any idea what kind of "stuff" to put on his wound?

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
There is a vet in thousand oaks which is about 2 hours away from you that is open 24/7.
Its called conejo valley animal hospital.

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
As a vet tech I would absolutely get him to the vet immediately. If you can't take him that far, call a wild life rehaber, they will get him the treatment he needs. He looks like the victim of a kitty attack.

OP
D

diegor324

May 3, 2012
As a vet tech I would absolutely get him to the vet immediately. If you can't take him that far, call a wild life rehaber, they will get him the treatment he needs. He looks like the victim of a kitty attack.

ok, been trying to find someplace to take him. no luck yet.

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
Call South Bay wildlife rehab @ 310 378 9921,
Leave a message that you found a lovebird that has an open wound that was likely attacked by a cat.

OP
D

diegor324

May 3, 2012
Call South Bay wildlife rehab @ 310 378 9921,
Leave a message that you found a lovebird that has an open wound that was likely attacked by a cat.

well i called loma linda animal hospital and they said they can take a look at him tomorrow morning

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
IMO I know you are doing everything you can, but this really can't wait. A bird will go down very quickly.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
He could have been attacked by a hawk while flying. We say that happen with a dove in our front yard. Snatched him right out of the air. His breast was ripped open but somehow he dropped him. There was no way to help him. This bird seems to have an older wound which could be getting infected.

Joeyx

Mar 15, 2012
Parrots
Birdie (BFA), Cloud (Lovebird)
poor lovie. ;(

let us know what happens with the vet visit asap!

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
I agree this really cant wait. If nothing else go down to conejo valley animal hospital, like I said they are open 24/7. Just call ahead and they will open the door for you, here is the number 805-495-4671. Please, you found him now you have a responsibility to take care of him, you have to get him to a vet asap.

Most Reactions