Found lovebird: need help with caring for it.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer Ć¢ā‚¬Å“ScreeĆ¢ā‚¬ļæ½ - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Thanks for taking care of this lost little bird, so glad she landed with you!

Most birds do prefer routine, and her normal bedtime may be around 8. Iā€™d roll with it and put her to bed at a regular time while you have her :). I urge caution around other pets - dogs and cats are both prey animals and can do some serious harm to a bird. I have a cat, and if my birds are out - the cat needs to be in his room or outside. Youā€™re not letting your pets down, itā€™s something new and not part of their ā€œnormalā€ routine. Just be sure to continue to give them some dedicated time after Petrie is put to bed for the night.

OP
S

SilverMissy

Jul 19, 2018
Thanks for taking care of this lost little bird, so glad she landed with you!

Most birds do prefer routine, and her normal bedtime may be around 8. Iā€™d roll with it and put her to bed at a regular time while you have her :). I urge caution around other pets - dogs and cats are both prey animals and can do some serious harm to a bird. I have a cat, and if my birds are out - the cat needs to be in his room or outside. Youā€™re not letting your pets down, itā€™s something new and not part of their ā€œnormalā€ routine. Just be sure to continue to give them some dedicated time after Petrie is put to bed for the night.

Thank you for that. Hearing it definitely helped my over active mind. I think Iā€™m just over stress and overwhelmed with home and work life as the moment. My pets are my everything and I hate to see anyone suffer.

Petrie has been great lately. She seems to get aggressive towards everyone else but me and when theyā€™re around me she wants to bite so I just put her away for a time out when she starts behaving like that. Still nothing on the owners and Iā€™m looking at listing everyday. Iā€™m going to go ahead and buy the stuff and whatever happens happens. I canā€™t control all aspect of my life although i like to think I can. Lol!

My new struggle is getting her to eat fresh fruits and veggies but she just ignores it. I put a kale stem with bits of kale still attached and she seems to enjoy that. Iā€™m cooking sweet potatoes tonight so Iā€™ll save some for her tomorrow morning for breakfast. She completely avoided the blueberries.

954ADABA-7471-4087-890E-7D149650551B.jpg

AAD1AADB-E94B-408D-9275-AB925155440D.jpg

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I would recommend getting rid of the substrate in that cage and switching to paper. Could be printer paper, newspaper (black and white), butcher paper....

Also, try feeding sprouts! Get clean seeds and sprout them for her! :)

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
Regarding her getting grouchy... the general consensus is that the bird should get 12 hours of daytime/awake time, and 12 hours of night time/covered in their cage. 10 hours is the absolute minimum. Some people vary the day/night cycle to match seasonal changes. Most people find that birds get very crank, and hormonal if they don't get enough quiet/night time.

Any updates on the hunt for the owner? Or is the little guy getting a new family with you? :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts