Frayed Feathers

JellyBean

May 19, 2014
Limerick, Ireland
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure called JellyBean
My 13 month old green cheeked conure is in great form - flying, cuddling, eating fruit and seeds - but recently I have noticed that his feathers on his breast and back are very frayed at the ends. When he is perched on my hand and preening, he appears to use his beak like a razor on his feathers. Some of his tail feathers have come out, but they are perfect.. not pulled out. I am concerned that I am not doing something right - diet or behaviour! He is my very first bird and I have him about 6 months now and would appreciate any advice!!

Brodie

Jul 25, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Oscar and Female Eclectus- Scarlet
Sorry can you also take a photo and post it up of his feathers if possible? Might give us a better idea.

OP
J

JellyBean

May 19, 2014
Limerick, Ireland
Parrots
Thanks everyone - I will get a photograph this evening when I go home. He eats a mixture of seeds and dried fruit, then he also has a bowl of fresh fruit and veg every day. He also has a mineral stone in his cage and I do give him vitamin drops in his water. He LOVES sunflower seeds, grapes and peanut butter!:green2:

OP
J

JellyBean

May 19, 2014
Limerick, Ireland
Parrots
Hi everyone - I did indeed take little JellyBean to the vet. He said he was over-preening, but otherwise in excellent health. The vet recommend a mist bath for him twice a day.. I did that last night and this morning, and I think he is better for it!! He also thought I gave him too many grapes, which might be excessive sugar in his diet... so green beans and sugar snaps this morning!!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Most often when you see unkempt feathers, it doesn't hurt to give the bird a bath. It may be a sign they aren't getting enough bathes, actually!

Mudkips

May 6, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Birdy the Green Cheek Conure
It could also be a sign that he loves to climb the sides of the cage. The thin cage bars can sometimes rip at feathers that rub up against them, especially on the tail.

Hahns2

Nov 18, 2021
Parrots
2 hanhns macaws
It could also be a sign that he loves to climb the sides of the cage. The thin cage bars can sometimes rip at feathers that rub up against them, especially on the tail.
How do I avoid this? My 2 hahns clearly do this on their cage and their feathers look terrible

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
How do I avoid this? My 2 hahns clearly do this on their cage and their feathers look terrible
You mean only the tail feathers look frayed?

If that's the case there's not much you can do if they simply love climbing up and down on the cage walls. This can be tiny bit worse if the bar spacing is a bit too small. My conure also adores climbing everywhere and always seems to fray his tail feathers...

Most Reactions