Freezing mash?

Peapod74

Jul 13, 2012
Western US
Parrots
One hilarious yellow-sided green cheek conure
So I made my first mash, a true hodgepodge of lentils, brown rice, sweet potatoes, kale, carrots, and cilantro. The good news is my bird actually eats it lol!! It made a TON though, which I froze in 3 day portions, but I'm wondering how long they can really stay in the freezer and be good (no freezer burn, etc)? They are now in a ziploc bag in a regular kitchen refrigerator freezer. Any tips? Thanks! :)

Didomum

Jul 9, 2012
Parrots
2 Quakers, 1 ring neck and 4 budgies. Baby Eclectus due sept 2012
Up to 3 months should be ok. Have you tried putting it in to ice trays to freeze then popping them out in to ziplock bags make idea meal size for them and you just take out what you need.

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
sound like a good recipe, I'll have to try it :) i think they have freezer burn proof bags from ziplock.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I make so many mashes as that is the only way my bird will eat her veggies. I use the ice tray sometimes and then small containers too. I never worry about how long to keep them as they go fast. Mashes are so nice because you can put in so many healthy things they would not otherwise eat like chia seed.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
I also freeze batches of Food, but as SB has said , it goes too quick to be in the Freezer for too long!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I also freeze most of Mishka's meals
You name it, and I freeze it. Veggies, meat, paste, chicken, EVERYTHING