Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
Okay, so as everyone knows Erin has an over preening issue. We soaked it up to a corn allergy, but even with no corn in the last 4 months or so she still shreds her feathers. We took her to the vet finally last month after her little fiasco and bloodwork shows she is as healthy as can be.

The vet said it may be hormones, so he gave her a hormone killer. It helped... as much as the corn did. It cut down a bit, but is still there. I see her preen still, but only 1-2 minutes at a time now, so it seems cut down, but she still has a lot of fluffy feathers showing on her wings, chest, and legs.

This was last week to show you her feathers on the topside of her wings:
Mara Solt Wentz's Photos | Facebook

She has had an avian light above her stand for the past month now, we have her on rice pellets still (completely allergy free diet), she gets a bag of pistachios to eat weekly, and pine nuts for treats. She doesnt care for human food still (except any cookie batter, choc. milk, soda, ice cream, chef boyardee's noodles and ground beef, juice and snickerdoodles- aka she doesnt eat human food).

She flies around our room and house freely now. She showers weekly. We use a parrot shampoo monthly that has finally gotten that nasty bitter deterrent off her feathers (so we're done using it now). And she has begun to splash about in her water bowl. She's also being more vocal (ugh). She is also finally destroying all her toysa dn swinging upside down, etc, like a normal bird. She's acting more like my darling Elvis was- except she's yelling more, but the preening still continues.

Any suggestions? And yes we ignore the screaming, but I admit with these pregnancy hormones raging I don't know how much longer I can ignore it and not yell back (it's seeming more and more logical each time she screams -_-). When she isn't screaming I do play with her and pet her, but sometimes she just flies back to her stand and continues to scream. She seems to scream more while she is preening.

OP
MaraWentz

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
Oh and we've done the extra vitamins- they gave her a rash on her face

So so far we've determined these don't help too much or cause it:

Allergies (she is on an a completely allergy free diet)
Lighting
Socialization
Bathing
Exercise
Hormones
Medical issues
Boredom

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Sprouted seeds added to the diet?

Natural fresh green branches?

Pine cones to destroy?

Phone book?

Or foraging for food and treats?

OP
MaraWentz

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
Haven't tried the sprouted seeds- don't know what to actually sprout lol (suggestions please and where to get it)

Im not good with plant classification so no fresh branches, but her homemade stand is taking quite a beating form her shredding at it, which is natural wood- dont remember the type, but we cut it down earlier this summer

Not a pine cone fan

Doesn't care for phone books, or cloths to tear either

We have a coconut and hanging food baset to forage in, which she loves to use both, we also have a metal screwy box toy that's half way unscrewed, and showing her favourite treat, but she wont even bother with that. ANd lately she's been going to the floor hunting for food she dropped

Julie86

Dec 2, 2012
Nebraska
Parrots
Khaleesi, Mulga Hen Australian Parakeet-hd: 10/29/12
Maximus, Male Pearl Cockatiel-hd: 1/30/13
Lady, Lutino Hen
Cockatiel-hd: 11/?/13
Dr Bird Sprouting Mix from Sprout People is an allergen free blend. I ordered it but, since i dont have my bird yet, i havent used it. They sell tons of different blends that you can look into as well. I am new to sprouting and they are the only site I am familiar with. Hopefully you can find something that helps :)
Dr. Bird Sprouts

OP
MaraWentz

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
If ten bucks makes 1 CP how much do they eat a day?????

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Have you tried red palm oil or maybe increasing some of the good fats in her diet. My vet said for the larger birds eg Amazons and Macaws that it a good thing.Usually helps with skin and feathers.

Julie86

Dec 2, 2012
Nebraska
Parrots
Lady, Lutino Hen
I think that 1 cup=1/2 lb measurement is just for the directions that they have listed. That recipe is just telling you how to make 1 cup of sprouts. It is not saying that you will only get one cup out of the 10 dollar bag of seed. You can sprout as much or as little as you want at a time. At the bottom of the page it says the ratio is 2:1. So 1 lb of seed equals 2 lbs of sprouts.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
http://www.parrotforums.com/general...oods-toxic-food-lists-sprouts.html#post198996
http://www.parrotforums.com/general...g-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html#post192069

You can buy pre-made sprout mixes, or you can create your own. Seeds sprout in 1-5 days. Depending on the seeds/sprout mix, you soak 8-24 hours, then sprout either next day or in a few days. Some sprout mixes are overnight soak and feed.

Might want to find a plant ID guide. There's many on the web!
Bird; Birds: Safe, Toxic Trees, Woods. Safe Tree Wood. Parrots. Parrot cages.

Some websites on foraging and foraging ideas. Maybe you'll be able to find something else she enjoy doing? Such as getting a container the size of a cat box or larger, filling it with clean pebbled or small rocks, or even playground sand, and putting treats and toys buried in it and a few on top! Messy, but she might enjoy it!

Articles on foraging...
HolisticBird and HolisticBirds
Foraging for Parrots
Parrot Enrichment
Foraging Ahead
BirdBoard.Com - Parrot Message Board & Pet Bird Owner Forums
Kibibi's InfoSuperFlyway - Top Ten Favorite Parrot Foraging Toys

Below are some ideas for toys and toy making supplies!
Parrot Enrichment
Cheep Parrot Toys N Tips
Bird Toy Outlet
Birdy Boredom Busters
Birds Just Wanna Have Fun
Twin Leather Company
For the Love of Birds - For Birds Sake Toys
Nalani Toys
Parrotdise Perch
Talon Treasures
California Bird Nerds--Simple Joys and Safer Bird Toys

Can't think of anything else atm that may help other than trying to deter her by wearing a preening 'cone' or outfit...

OP
MaraWentz

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
Have you tried red palm oil or maybe increasing some of the good fats in her diet. My vet said for the larger birds eg Amazons and Macaws that it a good thing.Usually helps with skin and feathers.

I haven't tied the palm oil. Does that go in her water? We would increase her fat, but the only things she eats besides pellets is pistachios and almonds, so the only thing we have to add is almonds. Well, she also liked dried corn and peas, but I dont know how much fat those have.

OP
MaraWentz

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
I think that 1 cup=1/2 lb measurement is just for the directions that they have listed. That recipe is just telling you how to make 1 cup of sprouts. It is not saying that you will only get one cup out of the 10 dollar bag of seed. You can sprout as much or as little as you want at a time. At the bottom of the page it says the ratio is 2:1. So 1 lb of seed equals 2 lbs of sprouts.

So that one bag provides 4 pounds? Sorry Im a bit lost.

OP
MaraWentz

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
http://www.parrotforums.com/general...oods-toxic-food-lists-sprouts.html#post198996
http://www.parrotforums.com/general...g-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html#post192069

You can buy pre-made sprout mixes, or you can create your own. Seeds sprout in 1-5 days. Depending on the seeds/sprout mix, you soak 8-24 hours, then sprout either next day or in a few days. Some sprout mixes are overnight soak and feed.

Might want to find a plant ID guide. There's many on the web!
Bird; Birds: Safe, Toxic Trees, Woods. Safe Tree Wood. Parrots. Parrot cages.

Some websites on foraging and foraging ideas. Maybe you'll be able to find something else she enjoy doing? Such as getting a container the size of a cat box or larger, filling it with clean pebbled or small rocks, or even playground sand, and putting treats and toys buried in it and a few on top! Messy, but she might enjoy it!

Articles on foraging...
HolisticBird and HolisticBirds
Foraging for Parrots
Parrot Enrichment
Foraging Ahead
BirdBoard.Com - Parrot Message Board & Pet Bird Owner Forums
Kibibi's InfoSuperFlyway - Top Ten Favorite Parrot Foraging Toys

Below are some ideas for toys and toy making supplies!
Parrot Enrichment
Cheep Parrot Toys N Tips
Bird Toy Outlet
Birdy Boredom Busters
Birds Just Wanna Have Fun
Twin Leather Company
For the Love of Birds - For Birds Sake Toys
Nalani Toys
Parrotdise Perch
Talon Treasures
California Bird Nerds--Simple Joys and Safer Bird Toys

Can't think of anything else atm that may help other than trying to deter her by wearing a preening 'cone' or outfit...

She doesnt need any more toys, she keeps really busy with the ones she has now- she plays with them pratically all day :) So I think I'm good with the foraging, but the pre spouted sprouts sound very helpful. We made our own preening collar, but she ate it in a day. We tried doubling a flight suit as a detterent from chewing at least her chest feathers, but she ate that in a day. My vet doesnt really want her to have a collar or vest as he says it's unnatural and likely to really stress her and make her preen more.

Julie86

Dec 2, 2012
Nebraska
Parrots
Lady, Lutino Hen
So that one bag provides 4 pounds? Sorry Im a bit lost.

It is basically doubled. 1lb of sprout mix yeilds 2lbs of sprouts, 2lbs equals 4lbs and so on. Keep in mind that the ratio might just be for that particular mix, not sure how it would vary among different mixes.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
I put the red Pam oil on food, I use a small piece of bread, but you could put it on anything she eats. it its a great source of Vitamin A, an anti oxidant and a source of I believe omega 9. At first our birds weren't sure of it, but now they gobble it down.

Most Reactions

Latest posts