Lovely

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2013
USA
Parrots
Lovebirds: Gabby, Dino, and Belle Nips
Quaker Parrots: Mozzi and Sydney
So today I'm trying Nip's on some fruit. (Grapes, blueberries, raspberries, and corn (which she hasn't touched... yet)) Thursday I plan to order the shampoo that is suppose to help with plucking. I tried her in the sock again and she looked so cute, but she would take a few steps then fall onto her side. She won that battle.

:green1:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
When trying new foods with your birds, it is often a good idea to bring them to your table, put the foods on a plate and make a big deal, with lip smacking, ohhing & ahhing over eating the foods.....birds learn to eat from what their flock eats & since you are part of their flock, watching you eat these new foods goes much further than just throwing some things in their food dish.....

Starting with only one or two new foods got me more success than offering a whole smorgasbord.....

I think you'll find they enjoy eating at the big kids table with you.....

Good luck.....

Sammy01

Aug 30, 2013
Parrots
Milo: White Fronted Amazon
Sex: Male
approx hatch date: May 2013
When ever I'm feeding a parrot a new food I always eat some in front of them and then I put it in their fruit bowl. I then go every three hours and repeat (I just feed them one new fruit/ veggie a day). If the parrot is pretty tamed and eats out of your hand, I feed them the new fruit. Sometimes they won't even want to lick it but after a while of it being offered they try it.

Also, I try and see of they like it. I find that some of my parrots like certain veggies while others don't. Milo dislikes carrots, but the female amazon loves them so I try not to give him too much. I also offer less to him and try to change things up. If he got a side of carrots for breakfast I give him different veggies for lunch and dinner.

OP
Lovely

Lovely

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2013
USA
Parrots
The bad thing is she always sees me eating grapes (which is a big thing in the bowl.) but because having fruit in her cage is so new it might take her awhile to get use to it. I hope over night some of it might have been eaten.

Sammy01

Aug 30, 2013
Parrots
The bad thing is she always sees me eating grapes (which is a big thing in the bowl.) but because having fruit in her cage is so new it might take her awhile to get use to it. I hope over night some of it might have been eaten.

Any updates on the situation?

I doubt that he'd eat some at night. In my experience my lovelies didn't like to eat at night, much less anything new. Then again I get up at 6 (7 the latest when I went to school) and clean their cage up and give them their breakfast.

OP
Lovely

Lovely

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2013
USA
Parrots
No change, its just getting worse. She's still in a different cage (the Parrots bird carrier) I let her out and sit on my laptop a lot. Tonight is the night I buy the shampoo that should help with her plucking!
FINALLY, oh I so hope this works.

Sammy01

Aug 30, 2013
Parrots
Lovely

Have you tried easing him into eating fresh food by providing him with a cooked meal at first? Try baking some carrots or other bird friendly veggies and offer your baby some. There also other receipts out there for you to offer them some.

Also, have you tried offering your parrot baby food?

ETA: I often find it easier to offer the same fruit or vegetable for a couple of days. It does create a bit of waste so only offer a little. Try getting a shallow bowl or fill the bottom with something you might have around. Also, if you see a bite mark they might have tried it and just didn't like it.

Last edited:

Most Reactions