Fun games and learning new words

Jackiebuckdaily

Aug 21, 2015
Bangor, Maine
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon and Yellow Crowned Amazon
I believe that I asked this question before, but I am not so sure.

What are some fun games to play and teach 15 year old Amazons?!
To piggyback on that question, how on earth do I teach my amazons new words to speak? They are 15 --- one of them is a dbl yellow so she sings and speaks very well --- but she won't learn new words... Is it too late for me to teach her? I am trying to get her to learn Bonjour Jackie, the smelly cat song (FRIENDS, etc... she instead goes back to her old songs and words--- She will mix everything she knows (almost 200 words) and make something different in that way, daily... but never any new words.

I don't really know how to teach them how to play or know whether or not they like what I am doing...

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Its odd with our Amazon friends lol..Amy is 27 yrs old and she knows lots of words and phrases,but it always seems she'll learn only what SHE wants to learn :rolleyes: Ya even at 27 she picks up new things...for years I have been trying to teach her "hi I am Amy <insert last name> I am an amazon" but to no avail. She does say " Hi Amy" with no problem

She also picked up SHUT UP! when I had the little beady-eyed monster <Jonesy> and that didn't take any prompting from me :p

SSeems like what interests them..don't give up, 'zons will surprise you!

Jim

OP
Jackiebuckdaily

Jackiebuckdaily

Aug 21, 2015
Bangor, Maine
Parrots
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qi61NsioRY"]Crying parrot(1) - YouTube[/ame]

Here are some of her speaking abilities

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Yup, Never Give Up on an Amazon!

Long ago, our than 48 year old LCA elected to fly over to me while I was sleeping in my reclining chair, landed on my leg, slowly walked up my leg and then up to my face. Here she rubber her head on my chin (story told by my Mrs's many times). With no response, she worked her way over to my ear and stated: Peanut! With great clarity! she had never used that word before! The response on my part clearly set in her mind and she use the combination far too many times after that! Be careful of what you wish for, you wishes may come true!

Remember, when its fun and gets big responses, they pick those things up quickly! Building the word into a short song helps. By the way, Amazons for whatever reasons do not care that you can't sing! They just like joining in on the fun! So, one of the links to adding new stuff: Fun! Ya, treats work, but family fun is just more enjoyable for everyone!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Oh yaaa, the neighbors are going to call the police because the poor little girl next door is always crying! Can't wait to hear that little discussion at the Front Door as all the neighbors are watching you try explaining to the officers that its your Parrot! Yaaa, right guy, we want to talk to your daughter, NOW! AND YES, your Amazon will say nothing 'at all' while they are questioning you and taking your house apart looking for the little girl!

Make it fun and try for something that targets the neighbors and that they are the bad guys. That will at least let you be one of the neighbors watch from your front door! :D

Amazons Have More Fun, especially if it is at your expense!

OP
Jackiebuckdaily

Jackiebuckdaily

Aug 21, 2015
Bangor, Maine
Parrots
Haha she always screams HELP HELP!!! lol it's funny. I always joke that I am going to get arrested lol

Most Reactions