Functioning is becoming really hard... (vent)

StormyPica

2x Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
So...my ADHD symptoms are getting ways worse, but my pparents still refuse to get me a diagnosis. I had some prescription tic meds that also work for ADHD, and they really helped me! I focused better, and stopped figiting and being as mentally hyperactive. My tics got smaller and less frequent. But then, my dad took them away because he thought I was addicted to them and they weren't helping. I was fine for a couple months, but now I'm having a super hard time functioning. I'm thinking of asking for a med refill, but it's been about 8 months of being off meds at this point. I've done the best I can, but I'm really struggling, and think it's time to start on meds again...

OP
StormyPica

StormyPica

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I would definitely ask for a med refill if you can and keep them hidden from your dad. Adhd meds have been god sent for me.
Thanks, I think I'm going to bring it up to my mom, and just ask for a tic med refill (honestly, all my doctors think I have ADHD, so they gave me a combo med instead of a normal tic med).

Well, I hope it works, but if they won't let me, I could always take out the 8 month old meds (if they're still safe), and take those for a while...

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Are you legally minor or adult?

Meds always two edge sword; my sister near max daily dosage of Adderall and literally could not work without. Onerous side effects and potential for addiction best assessed by patient and ethical MD/Psychiatrist.

OP
StormyPica

StormyPica

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Are you legally minor or adult?

Meds always two edge sword; my sister near max daily dosage of Adderall and literally could not work without. Onerous side effects and potential for addiction best assessed by patient and ethical MD/Psychiatrist.
Yeah, but I really need meds because:

A. My tics are super disruptive and not to mention painful

B. I get the added benifit of executive function

And yes, I'm a minor, and also yes, I was assesed by a psychiatrist

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We need to be very careful here as there are very specific Legal issue regarding recommending the use of mediation /vs. / Parent Rights /vs / the 'current' recommendation from a trained Mental Health Professional.

OP
StormyPica

StormyPica

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
We need to be very careful here as there are very specific Legal issue regarding recommending the use of mediation /vs. / Parent Rights /vs / the 'current' recommendation from a trained Mental Health Professional.
Yeah, I've decided to go see my doctor to get a new prescription, and my dad actually seems ok with it!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Yeah, I've decided to go see my doctor to get a new prescription, and my dad actually seems ok with it!
Stormy, that is wonderful news. I hope you start feeling better after the meds kick in.
For so many years I fought taking meds I needed, and I was miserable off of them but wanted to prove it to myself that I could do without them.
I'm so glad you are realizing this so much earlier than I did. That takes a lot of courage.
I hope you start to feel much better once the meds kick in.

OP
StormyPica

StormyPica

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy, that is wonderful news. I hope you start feeling better after the meds kick in.
For so many years I fought taking meds I needed, and I was miserable off of them but wanted to prove it to myself that I could do without them.
I'm so glad you are realizing this so much earlier than I did. That takes a lot of courage.
I hope you start to feel much better once the meds kick in.
Thank you so much! It's been a journey, and not an easy one, as my very first meds made my legs so numb I could barley walk, which is a super rare side affect that I just happened to get. So the goal is finding something that helps me, not disables me further.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I also hope once the meds kick in, you start to feel better and I'm so sorry about everything ❀️ and very happy your dad has agreed to get a new prescription.

I don't take any meds, never did, maybe one day I will

OP
StormyPica

StormyPica

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I also hope once the meds kick in, you start to feel better and I'm so sorry about everything ❀️ and very happy your dad has agreed to get a new prescription.

I don't take any meds, never did, maybe one day I will
Thank you! I do think some people don't need meds, but some do. It depends on how well you can get through your day, and I struggle getting through my day normally because of tics.
However, if you don't need meds, that's fine! It's honestly better to be able to go without meds, but you shouldn't feel ashamed if you need them.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Thank you! I do think some people don't need meds, but some do. It depends on how well you can get through your day, and I struggle getting through my day normally because of tics.
However, if you don't need meds, that's fine! It's honestly better to be able to go without meds, but you shouldn't feel ashamed if you need them.
Yeah, some people do just fine without them! I don't know about me, specifically, but I know many need them and many are alright without them.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Finding the right meds and therapeutic dosing takes time, skill, and patience. May you find relief, newfound confidence, and stability.

OP
StormyPica

StormyPica

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Finding the right meds and therapeutic dosing takes time, skill, and patience. May you find relief, newfound confidence, and stability.
Thank you!

Most Reactions

Latest posts