Funny story

Sherry

Sep 26, 2012
Maine
Parrots
African grey
Sun conure
B&G Macaw
I am a proud new momma to a 6 month old African grey named rocky. He quickly owned my heart, he's is very loving. Well being new to ownIng a parrot I really had no idea of what to feed him. I just listened to what I was told at the pet store which sold him, big mistake. After doing much research I quickly found out that filling up his HUGE bowls with seeds and pellets (along with fruit and veggies) was not such a good plan. Well anyway, on to the funny part. I purchased a cookbook for parrots and went out and purchased all the ingredients to prepare the food. The recipe makes a 4 month supply that I freeze. I cut up all the veggies, prepared the beans and grains and combined them in a gigantic pot. I left to do another errand before packaging the food to store in the freezer and when I came home I saw that my husband had returned from his golf game. He was watching thr Ryder Cup and eating a bowl of, you guessed it, my parrot food! Hahahhaha. He was like "honey, I don't want to be mean but, what the hell is this stuff?" I was laughing so hard I couldn't tell him for about 5 minutes.

Moony

Sep 22, 2012
Thats to funny,i could see that happening pretty easy... you can help out by posting that recipe if you want...

Eloy

Sep 4, 2012
Lol! :D:D:D
I want the recipe too. :) So I can offer my friends on the next party. ^^

Don't switch the food to fast if he used to eat only seeds and pellets.

OP
Sherry

Sherry

Sep 26, 2012
Maine
Parrots
African grey
Sun conure
B&G Macaw
This is the recipe. I will warn you it takes all day to prepare.
1 cup cooked hulled barley
1 cup cooked millet
1 cup cooked rye
2 cups cooked mixed beans
2 cups cooked vegetable rotini
2-4 large kale leaves
3 large mustard greens
2 cups alfalfa sprouts
8-10 Brussels sprouts
2 heads brocolli including stalks
1 small pumpkin
1/2 lb. green beans
1 parsnip
1 red bell pepper
3 carrots
Soak the beans overnight then cook in the morning, cook the barely and grains, Finley chop all vegetables (leave all veggies raw). Mix together than separate this mix into 16 freezer bags. Freeze the bags and remove 1 per week for 4 months.

I got this recipe from birdtricks.com. They have a digital cookbook that you can download, it's full of recipes. Rocky loves this stuff! So do sunny and Cher ( my conures).

I just want to say that when I purchased my birds I what I was told from the store what to feed these guys. I have come to learn that it wasn't a very good diet at all. Not only was I feeding them those fruit loop things and seeds, but I was filling up the huge feeding bowls with this every day. I was also giving them fruits and veggies but they wouldn't touch them, why would they, they were getting all the junk food they wanted. Needless to say my limited training was not working out very well. I guess I really didn't care that much considering that my birds are very young and I am not very experienced, but it did make me wonder what I could do better. Now rocky, sonny and Cher only get seeds when training and they have learned so much in just a day! It is amazing! My husband is even impressed, hahaha. Back to the food, all my birds like this recipe and didn't even touch the few pellets that I gave them with the food.

Most Reactions