Funny things Captian Jack does.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
I am wondering if any of yor birds does this or if it is only a young bird thing. Do you know how some dogs get excited and will lay on their back and rough play? It is kind of like that. When one his cage stand Captain Jack will run up to me when I walk over and when he sees my hand he moves back a ways and lays on his back and plays like this bird. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X9KoQXeB5E]Georgie The "BIG" Little Hahn's Macaw - YouTube[/ame]

He also has his wings out a little so I can give stitches under them.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
My Illiger's macaw Diego use to do this. His breeder called it cuddle wrestling and she told me once Diego starts doing it with me it means he trusts me and has bonded to me. Mihijo my Noble macaw did this as well but not as rough as Diego did. Now Valentino. He is WAY bigger than both my mini macaws put to together and he LOVES to cuddle wrestle. Valentino gets way into it and will pinch a bit but it does not hurt. It only gets me when he has a joint or grabs too hard.

Valentino wrestles with Lupe a lot. This is their bonding thing they do together. I think it is because I am mommy and he likes to lay up against my face while preening and will purr. Valentino likes to play too rough and he enjoys that with Lupe but for me with that giant beak can hurt me.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
None of my birds have... but then again, only the conures would generally enjoy this kind of interaction.... having cared for three conures now, but only having two, none of them have ever done it. The first two conures were around 12+ years old when I got them, first not really tame, second tame and I can lay him on his back, even toss him in the air but he's not big on the tickling part. My new girl is 3 years old and thus youngest conure but she is far from comfortable in doing that kind of behavior. She's still learning to become confident/ok with handling and I'm not trying to get her to trust me in laying her on her back just yet.

Most Reactions

Latest posts