Fussy eater

Cagzo

Jan 14, 2020
Media
Mid Glamorgan,South Wales,UK
Parrots
One Pineapple Conure.
Hatched late 2018.
I was hoping someone could recommend a pellet type food for Connie.
She seems to be so fussy.Shes on Tropican atm but only eats with reluctance, the light coloured ones,the rest she throws on the floor. She only turns to the pellets at night after shes run out of stuff in her chop bowl,even going to the bottom of the cage to pick up things shes dropped through the day. Anything green she totally ignores,and just eats carrot and peppers.
My OH spoils her by giving her toast in the morning which she loves,and screams if he forgets.
Im worried shes getting too much sugary stuff with grapes,pears etc.
If she would turn to pellets that she liked it might help.

She goes to her chop bowl at night keeps dipping her head in,and swearing in Conure speak if everything has gone!

Im in the UK, but could get stuff online, Well we all have to in this current situation.
Many thanks in advance.:gcc:

Malewicka

Feb 29, 2020
Have you tried introducing a better quality pellet? I believe Harrisons and Psittacus is available in the UK. I mention those because both brands have small brown pellets which she may take to since that is what she likes with her current pellet.

Have you tried chopping her veggies smaller so it's harder to pick through? It's great she is eatting some veggies!

My GCC prefers freeze dried veggies, I think since they dont stick to his beak, and they crunch.

I'm sure people with better tips will be along shortly. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
So many pellets available, ranging from poor to mediocre to excellent. Many believe almost any pellet preferable to all seed diet for most parrots.

The "best" pellet is a good one your bird will eat. No point purchasing an expensive item sure to be pitched overboard. Perhaps you can get samples of a few varieties?

I used to feed Zupreem Fruit Blend, generally well accepted by most species. Colorful, tasty, but a bit too much sugar imo. Transitioned entire flock to Harrison's Adult Lifetime Course and they all love it. My point is not to push a particular brand, rather to offer a link to their conversion protocol: https://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/using-our-foods/large-bird-conversion/ I precisely followed and every bird acclimated within 2 weeks. The guidelines should work for most any brand.

OP
Cagzo

Cagzo

Jan 14, 2020
Media
Parrots
One Pineapple Conure.
Hatched late 2018.
Thankyou so much for your sensible advice, I will have a good look tonight and see if I can get samples,that would be ideal of course.

I so want to get her diet right as the poor little thing was being fed on Big Parrot food before she came to me,the choice in the bag of food given to me,was horrendous for a little bird of her size, whole peanuts,hundreds of sunflower seeds,big raisins and bits of something that looked like massive chunky cornflakes. Obviously didnt get fresh fruit and veg at all, as I asked what veg she liked and just got a blank look!
She was a bit gobsmacked when she got the pellets,but I also put seed in another dish.
Thanks again.Cagzo

Cycletim

Mar 22, 2020
Ventura, California
Parrots
Jasper Congo African Grey,
Grover Red bellied parrot RIP 10/20,
Red bellied parrot Rheya
Keep at it ? Put out less seed and more veggies ? Every bird is different. Our African grey all of a sudden likes fresh green beans, snap peas and snow peas. We only give them for lunch. He loves getting the beans out. Some birds are monkey see monkey do, so try to have your parrot watch you eat it. Otherwise he has to forage in his foraging toys for pellets and seeds. And a big breakfast of broccoli, carrots , 1 cut up grape, and a random veggie I get at the store that week. Hope that helps . It takes time.

Our red belly took like 3 months of tossing out his fruit and veggies, now he eats his and veggies every morning and looks forward to them. He also, has to forage for his seeds\pellets. Good luck hope, that helps. Don't be discouraged when they throw it out its what they do. They make messes all over the jungle etc.. And don't care.

Last edited:
OP
Cagzo

Cagzo

Jan 14, 2020
Media
Parrots
One Pineapple Conure.
Hatched late 2018.
Its a shame they dont do a trial size.

Now sent off for Katee exact, mainly as it has all colours,and extra vitamins. She has her fruit and veg dish,and actually tried Brocolli yesterday,albeit just a tiny nibble. She must have been about 16 months old and never experienced raw fruit and veg before.
Why do some people get birds,leave them in tiny cages,with nothing but a bit of budgie seed? Its beyond me!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Try revisiting the serving of fresh veggies and fruits aka "chop." My technique is to prepare two identical bowls; one for you, the other for Connie. Begin to eat from yours, make "mmmm" sounds, bob your head in delight. Parrots are flock eaters and you are a member! Continue to serve small portions of foods ignored or tossed overboard. It can take years for a bird to try something new and possibly enjoy. One of my Goffins dissed pear literally for decades, now she enjoys.

Safe foods: http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...afe-fresh-foods-toxic-food-lists-sprouts.html
Additional tips: http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Try revisiting the serving of fresh veggies and fruits aka "chop." My technique is to prepare two identical bowls; one for you, the other for Connie. Begin to eat from yours, make "mmmm" sounds, bob your head in delight. Parrots are flock eaters and you are a member! Continue to serve small portions of foods ignored or tossed overboard. It can take years for a bird to try something new and possibly enjoy. One of my Goffins dissed pear literally for decades, now she enjoys.

Safe foods: http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...afe-fresh-foods-toxic-food-lists-sprouts.html
Additional tips: http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html

This is exactly what I do with albie and it works because he always wants what I'm eating :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts