Future Conure owner

Chihuahua

Jun 8, 2015
Parrots
1 Sun Conure "Orion" 4 yrs
Hello! I'm Toby and I'm very new to birds. I met a sun conure a few years ago and fell in love. I currently live in a trailer on my mom's property so I have to pass all pets by her... she gave the green light on a bird :) Originally I was going to go with ducks but I wanted something a little closer/more interactive so I did a bunch of research and craigslist browsing and found a sun conure I'm going to be checking out tomorrow. If all goes to plan I'll be coming home with the little guy. :) I have done a LOT of research, but any tips for new conure owners would be wonderful. Biggest thing right now is I need a way to keep my computer cords out of the way/safe from a curious bird so any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks a bunch!

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
Be prepared for having a tiny 3 year old that wants all of your attention all of the time :3 pretty much my relationship with my GCC. I love her to pieces and wouldn't trade her for anything <3

Good luck with your introduction!!

Xraysrrad

May 31, 2015
Media
North Carolina
Parrots
Crimson-Bellied Conure - Bodhi - Ramsey- Labradoodle
Hi Chihuahua & welcome!

I am a new bird owner myself, so I am far from an expert!

I think the key is predicting and preventing this behavior before it starts. Birds are naturally curious and “social” nibblers. If he begins to nibble on cords and then you offer a distraction, he/she may view this as a reward.

When Bodhi is out of his cage, he is not left alone to wonder. I keep him quite busy. If he is perched elsewhere other than his cage, he has toys to play with. My computer is set up a few feet away from his cage. If I need to work, I let him play on his cage with the door open to he can keep busy. (But only after we have had our play time together).

Also, a bath tends to calm them quite a bit. (I put Bodhi in the shower with me and he loves it!)

Good luck and hope you enjoy your new friend as much as we have enjoyed ours!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Hi Chihuahua & welcome!

I am a new bird owner myself, so I am far from an expert!

I think the key is predicting and preventing this behavior before it starts. Birds are naturally curious and “social” nibblers. If he begins to nibble on cords and then you offer a distraction, he/she may view this as a reward.

When Bodhi is out of his cage, he is not left alone to wonder. I keep him quite busy. If he is perched elsewhere other than his cage, he has toys to play with. My computer is set up a few feet away from his cage. If I need to work, I let him play on his cage with the door open to he can keep busy. (But only after we have had our play time together).

Also, a bath tends to calm them quite a bit. (I put Bodhi in the shower with me and he loves it!)

Good luck and hope you enjoy your new friend as much as we have enjoyed ours!
Ditto! Especially about bath/shower time! My JoJo loves his bath, a monster dog dish on the counter. They all seem to be very mellow and cuddly right after bath, great opportunity for bonding time!
FYI, avoid having your baby bathing in his cage, makes a mess and will quickly ruin it!

Again, welcome, what part of the world do you call home?

OP
C

Chihuahua

Jun 8, 2015
Parrots
1 Sun Conure "Orion" 4 yrs
Thank you! I really appreciate all the great advice.

Grraarrgghh

Jan 5, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Parrots
"Albert" - Female Red Bellied Parrot - 1y3m (Oct 8th, 2014), "Martha" - Unknown Yellow-Sided GCC - 11m (Feb 13th 2015)
I have wrapped all of my cords with these:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Velcro-Cable-Sleeve-Wrap/dp/B00B907CN8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433872741&sr=8-1&keywords=velcro+cable+sleeve"]Amazon.com: Sewell Velcro Cable Sleeve Wrap 5': Office Products[/ame]

As Albert is unable to chew through it (but chews through rubber cable in the blink of an eye).

Mollygirl

Jun 9, 2015
Ironton, Ohio
Parrots
Molly- Blue-crowned conure.
I am also a new blue crowned conure. My husband surprised me with it. I had worked at petland for several years and am familiar to yellow nape amazon and macaws but not conures and we didnt get to really train much. I have always wanted one. The previous owner said she was one year old. So far she will step up onto a perch for us occasionally but not on your hand or arm. She gets very scared and flies back to her cage or to the curtains. I have got her to give me kisses and she will occasionally climb on my shoulder or head. Any advice to getting her to come to us? Also she eats her food good but will not eat people food yet. Oh yea she will eat sunflower seeds from our hands.

Grraarrgghh

Jan 5, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Parrots
"Albert" - Female Red Bellied Parrot - 1y3m (Oct 8th, 2014), "Martha" - Unknown Yellow-Sided GCC - 11m (Feb 13th 2015)
I am also a new blue crowned conure. My husband surprised me with it. I had worked at petland for several years and am familiar to yellow nape amazon and macaws but not conures and we didnt get to really train much. I have always wanted one. The previous owner said she was one year old. So far she will step up onto a perch for us occasionally but not on your hand or arm. She gets very scared and flies back to her cage or to the curtains. I have got her to give me kisses and she will occasionally climb on my shoulder or head. Any advice to getting her to come to us? Also she eats her food good but will not eat people food yet. Oh yea she will eat sunflower seeds from our hands.

How long have you had her? Parrots (especially ones that have bonded to a previous owner) will take time to warm up to you. If it's only been a few days/weeks, just be nice, offer treats, stay calm, and let the bird have space if it wants it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts