Galah facts!

Aims

Jun 23, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Parrots
"Jax" Red-sided Eclectus ~ "Peaches" Lutino Lovebird ~ "Skid" Peachface Lovebird ~ "Bo" and "Peep" Cockatiel's ~ "Opie" Galah
That sucks:(

It so does... The worst thing was it was christmas day too... The worst christmas ever!

It was a few years ago and I have only just decided to get another Galah. He was irreplaceable.

OP
Finch_Breeder

Finch_Breeder

Oct 27, 2012
South Australia
Parrots
Rocky the Galah! & Cocky the Sulphur Crested Cockatoo!
Sucks even more if it was Christmas:(

I just have to survive on more day of school (tomorrow) and 1 night and then I will be as happy as can be!!!:D:p

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I always have to add that galahs must be fully flighted, if not you are cutting it's life span and eventually it will get fatty liver disease or fatty tumors. The average life span of a clipped Galah is around 30/40 but they can live to be 60/70+ if allowed proper exercise and fed a good varied diet. With fully flighted birds training recall is a must, my galah will fly to me but only from a person so I'm working hard on that. if she landed on something high she wouldn't want to fly off. Tough thing to train them out of, one way is to not rescue them. If they land on a light/window or something don't run over and take them down because they'll expect the same thing if they land in a 60' tall tree. You have to wait for them to fly down even if it takes several hours. I'm not suggesting you free fly your bird, that's dangerous and even I wouldn't do it unless I was trained by a professional that I trusted.

I've recently started taking Rosie out to the park with her aviator harness and a 100' rope to let her fly, she's not quite fit enough to enjoy it yet since about 8 months ago she was recovering from organ failure(caused by a bad diet in her last home) and being severely underweight. I never force her to fly and she only does 2 or 3 flights to avoid muscle aches.
tumblr_mbpbneI6Mu1rs86coo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mbp9qvxzhe1rs86coo1_500.jpg

Last edited:

Aims

Jun 23, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Parrots
"Jax" Red-sided Eclectus ~ "Peaches" Lutino Lovebird ~ "Skid" Peachface Lovebird ~ "Bo" and "Peep" Cockatiel's ~ "Opie" Galah
For names I go with TV shows, movies or characters. Jax is from Son's of Anarchy. We had a dog named Phoenix from the phoenix in Harry potter, Although he did look more like Dr Watson's hat (sherlock holmes) due to big floppy ears. But Phoenix had a better ring to it, I didn't fancy shouting Dr Watson in the street/park.. LOL... We have also had a Rocky.
My auntie comes up with hilarious names for her dogs. She had Sweaty Betty, Piddler and Rosie Radish, just to name a few.

Copperarabain ~ Rosie is lovely and looks so happy on that harness. Seeing your pictures yesterday made me try and get Jax into his, He wouldn't let it anywhere near him when I bought it two months ago and I gave up trying and just left it on top of his cage. After seeing your pictures I gave it ago and he just stood there and let me do it. I was so surprised. He loved his first visit out side and free to a degree. No flying yet though I was still anxious about him disappearing on me. LOL ....So Thank you.... Here is a little picture of him in his harness.
66201_10151155402840852_854443507_n.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Finch_Breeder

Finch_Breeder

Oct 27, 2012
South Australia
Parrots
Nice birds, both Aims and Copperarabian :D
He will be fully flighted and am hoping to buy a harness and fly him.
Tomorrow morning is the big day:D:D:D

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Bet you want to pee in your pants right now LOL , I felt the same when I was waiting for my dad to come home so we could go to pet store. He was an hour late so you knew how I felt.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
woohoo :D Can't wait to see your new best friend. Don't be shot down if he's afraid or defensive, it's a pretty scary experience going somewhere new with all these crazy people you don't know.

Aims

Jun 23, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Parrots
Is he home yet? Don't forget we want pictures. :D

OP
Finch_Breeder

Finch_Breeder

Oct 27, 2012
South Australia
Parrots
Rocky:
EAJ6X.jpg

(P.s I didn't do my hair 2day because I was 2 excited :)

Last edited:
OP
Finch_Breeder

Finch_Breeder

Oct 27, 2012
South Australia
Parrots
He really likes his sunflower seeds... which I know they aren't supposed to have lots of it. (I will limit the sunflower seeds he eats).
Mike:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts