Gang-Gang?

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
Andrew's fascinating post about the taxonomy of parrots led me to a search in which I ran into a really neat cockatoo I had never heard of before.

300px-Callocephalon_fimbriatum_%28pair%29_-NSW_-Australia-8.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gang-gang_Cockatoo

I see they are listed as "vulnerable", which I suppose means there are at least some in the pet trade, most likely in Australia.

I'm not thinking of getting one...I just found their appearance amazing (sexual dichromatism like the Eclectuses), and their description interesting.

Has anyone ever seen one in person?

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
In 30 years I've only seen one pair of gang gangs in Loxahatchee Fl., there not offered very often in the pet trade as most are held back and sold or traded for breeding stock, when you do see them for sale they are extemely expensive

AndrewH

Aug 22, 2010
Dayton, OH
Parrots
Both my birds are rehomed rescues. Samantha, Umbrella Cockatoo (HD: 2002)
Lucky, B&G Macaw (HD: 1990-ish?)
Wow! I would love to see a bird like that in person. Another I'd like to see is the palm cockatoo.

Dj tweet

Aug 11, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix- alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010

mikki- barraband x king parrot
21yrs old
They are similar to the black red tailed cockatoos
but they sure are stunning

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
RIP Hugo (African Brown Headed Parrot) 2 years old, lil Rosie May (Lovebird)
There is a family who breed many rare birds and they have gang-gangs. I tutor their son and he said that they are over R30 000 for one!!! I thought that he was over exagerating but maybe its true then. I might just mosie along there and check them out - they are stunning!!!

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
Here in Aus I have seen about 9 in the wild. They are beautiful. I haven't seen one in the pet trade yet but I know somebody who might have a few. Their garage is devoted to keeping birds. They don't breed, I think they rescue.

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
They are magnificent birds. This particular species is not found in the area where I live, but there are many zoos and aviaries here in Australia that do have some. They seem to be somewhat 'individual' in their appearance compared to the other cockatoo's around. Yes, they do in someways resemble the other black too's, but they really are something else very special. Gang-Gangs are very beautiful birds :) And they have a pretty cool name too lol ;)

AndrewH

Aug 22, 2010
Dayton, OH
Parrots
Both my birds are rehomed rescues. Samantha, Umbrella Cockatoo (HD: 2002)
Lucky, B&G Macaw (HD: 1990-ish?)
They have a Galah- or Cockatiel-like crest but their body and face remind my of my U2.

Most Reactions