Garage heater??

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Gcc- Conlan... Sun Conure- Mouse...Jenday- Kellan... RLA- Happy...B&G Macaw- Rhage
My brother works on dirt bikes in the garage... Which is below my birds rooms. This garage has no insulation so it gets cold easy.

My brother just builds in there and fixs his bikes. But now that winter is here it's so cold down there he is throwing a fit because I won't let him use a karoseen heater.

I'm worried about the fumes. And finding a heater to heat the garage because the heat doesn't hold, that is safe for birds is proving hard.

Does any one know of any bird safe heaters that can kick off lots of heat that don't cost hundreds of dollars?

bill_e

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
I use a Hot Dawg LP/propane heater by Modine. 45K BTU shold be plenty for a garage. It is a vented heater so no fumes in the garage. They sell both an open and closed combustion chamber version, the safest would be a closed combustion unit because there is no exposed flame. Shouldn't matter for the birds but if he uses paint or has gas fumes, the closed system is safest. There are other similar heaters for less money but I have 15 years experience with mine and I love it.

Edit, sorry, did not read about your cost concern. These will run you between 800-1200 installed yourself depending on which model you choose.

For cheap heat with no fumes he could go with electric radiant heat to heat up where he works. Something like this. You might need a couple of them.

You could also look at a Propane Torpedo Heater but like the kerosese heater they are not vented so you need a door or window open in the garahge. The propane shouldn't give off any fumes.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I prefer self-contained non-combustible heaters such as oil-filled radiators. Electricity heats the oil which in turn radiates outwards. Probably not as energy efficient as propane heaters, but no chance of accidental fumes.

A representation:
HEC309.JPG

bill_e

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Scott, I've used those in the house (bird room actually) but they worn't work in a 32° garage. The kerosene torpedo heater her brother was using is ideal for that kind of work, lots of inexpensive heat fast....but they stink. I used one for years in my barn shop until I installed the Hot Dawg propane heater.

The electric radiant heaters will warm a person up real fast in a cold garage, but they won't warm up your tools or those bikes.

The closest thing to the kerosene heater is probably the propane torpedo heater. It should heat the place up quickly and won't o\put out fumes however it will be much more expensive to run than the kerosene heater. The only danger with the propane heater is like the kerosene heater, the garage has to be vented or you'll use up all the oxygen.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
To work in a Garage with an open flame heater of any source is one moment from a garage /home fire! The reality is that gas fumes, lube fumes and a cross-section of different sprays are sources for a fire!!!

First: Insulate the ceiling of the garage /floor of your room! That should have been done years ago!!!

Next: Insulate the side walls, starting with the wall between the garage and the house and then the other walls!

Followed by: Install as sealing kit for the over-head garage door.

This very short list will make a great difference in the garage and in your room.

Sorry, but any open flame heating source regardless of how cheap it is a death warrant for everyone in your house hold, everyone!!!!

Last time I checked Safe and Cheap rarely are found in the same sentence.

If you need some support for the above from a local source. Have your brother take you to the local Fire Barns and ask the Firemen who place their lives on the line on every call for service. They will be happy to explain just how dangerous what he wants to do is for him and everyone in your house hold!

Most Reactions