Gas Stove OK?

aufde

Apr 27, 2011
Are gas stoves and ovens ok for birds? I keep thinking about when someone said "If it smells strong to you, it's probably bad for the bird" and I can smell the gas coming off of it when I use it.

I would hope they are because I can't replace the stove in my apartment.

Trina

Jun 23, 2012
Nashville tn
Parrots
Screech - Sun Conure
Gitana - Eclectus
IDK about natural gas, I know my husbands cousin in Guatemala as 2 eclectus parrots and she has a gas stove like ours that runs off a propane tank which is common there as electric is way to expensive to use there. her birds are about 20 years old she had them when i first went there but she has a swinging door that seperates her livingroom from her kitchen

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old

I would suggest not using the stove at all, for your birds well being.
Gas fumes from a cooking gas leak
Can be fatal to birds which are close to the source if they are in an enclosed space, or even with ventilation since there can be a buildup in certain places or currents of air can engulf the birds.

AFP520

Banned
Banned
Jun 7, 2012
NJ
Parrots
Lucy, Sun Capped Conure
We have cooked with Lucy locked in her cage and we have a 1 bedroom apartment. She's been fine so far

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
If you are smelling gas you may have a gas leak. You should not be smelling it. I would have it checked for a gas leak. It could be dangerous for you as well as the birds. Like in an explosion.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
I agree, you should not be able to smell Gas unless there is a leak!! You need to get a qualified Gas Fitter in to check it out! Gas is dangerous and could be fatal for you and your Bird!!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Your situation is an accident waiting to happen
If it were me, I would remove the bird a.s.a.p. OR not use the stove at all.
Would you live with it, if something tragic happened to your bird, not mentioning yourself?

Last edited:

Total_Dejavu

Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Jules - Yellow Sided GCC, Buju - My sweet lil Meyer's, Micah - Sun Concure :o)
I think they just meant that they smell gas when they first turn it on, the time in between turning the knob and the pilot lighting. At least that's how I interpreted it? I smell gas from mine too when lighting the pilot. It's not constant an no problems here :)

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
A properly igniting natural gas stove or oven should leak minimal gas into the air and any odor should be very transient. I've had nothing but natural gas cook-tops since I've had birds and have never had any problems, but the appliances were relatively new and well maintained. And the birds are not in the kitchen when I am cooking.

If you consistently smell gas and the stove is hard to light, you may want to have it serviced. If it is a sealed-burner kind where you can clean the components, that alone may get it lighting more efficiently. In fact, if the burner covers are not seated properly, it may delay ignition. The gas needs to ignite right away or you will smell a little bit. A very small amount is normal and should not travel very far away from the range.

If you smell gas all the time, something is wrong and you need to have it fixed asap as everyone who said that situation poses a risk to your birds first but you as well is correct.

Fortunately the chemical they put in the gas to make you able to smell it (it is inherently odorless) is very strong so a tiny leak is detectable. The odor itself is not harmful in this case, it's the gas that poses the main risk.

A good vent fan in the kitchen goes a long way, too.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I think they just meant that they smell gas when they first turn it on, the time in between turning the knob and the pilot lighting. At least that's how I interpreted it? I smell gas from mine too when lighting the pilot. It's not constant an no problems here :)

I sincerely pray you are correct
Just_Cuz_06.gif

AFP520

Banned
Banned
Jun 7, 2012
NJ
Parrots
Lucy, Sun Capped Conure
One thing I should urge to all, have patience when cooking in a apartment in general. I made some french toast tonight, and it burned slightly. We had already put Lucy in the bedroom, but sometimes you just don't know with cooking. A ton of smoke is going to be very bad for a bird. If the smoke detector goes off... :eek:

Total_Dejavu

Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Jules - Yellow Sided GCC, Buju - My sweet lil Meyer's, Micah - Sun Concure :o)

I sincerely pray you are correct
Just_Cuz_06.gif

Yeah me too. It shouldn't be constant. If so, there's something way wrong :11:

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
Aizen: YS-GCC
Indeed, any gas stoves with a delay between venting and ignition will produce an odour; it's not something you need to worry about, unless it's not igniting for a good while.

OP
aufde

aufde

Apr 27, 2011
Sorry, I haven't checked the topic in a while, I hope I didn't worry any of you :)

It is only when lighting the stove that i smell it. So it shouldn't be a problem if i close Yoshi's door and turn the vent on while I'm cooking. I'll probably let the vent run for 15-20 mins after cooking before letting him out too, just to be safe.

This is my first experience with a gas stove, so I don't know how much is normal, but the smell isn't overwhelming so I'm assuming it's just a little bit escaping before the stove lights like you guys have been saying.

Most Reactions

Latest posts