Gasoline? Please help with info.

Buzz2537

Aug 16, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
i just came home from work and my bird's room had a smell of gasoline in it, like car gasoline. I immediately removed her from the room and she is now in the livingroom. I opened rhe window and of course the smell came from my a hole's neighbor's garage. He constantly revs his engine all hours of the night working on his truck, it's a project car. Total disregard forvanyne. I can g on and on about this, his dog roamng into our yard growling at my son when he comeshome, killing a mother cat we were feeding ect. I am just stuck with him. Sorry to rant just livid right now. My big question is can the smell of car gasoline kill our babies? Hahnna is a mini Macaw, a Hahn's macaw. I pulled her cage out into the living room and had her out on my lap for about a half hour. She seems fine, just tired but it is late and she was out with me all day today until I left for work then played in her bird room, so I think her being tired is just cause it is late. Just wanted some input on how dangerous this was for her. It wasnot erribly strong the scent but strong enough. Is there amything I should look for. I love her so much. Thanks, Elaine and Hahnna

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014

Last edited:
OP
Buzz2537

Buzz2537

Aug 16, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
If anything happens to my bird he will not have to worry about being sued because I will go to jail. I am so upset tonght. I am checking on Hahnna and have been and so far she seems fine, but I keep thinking what if I did not come home when I did. I am keeping her in the living room for the night.

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
Please in the morning - sooner than later - tell the guy off. You should be worried for yourself and your bird (though I don't blame you worrying about the bird more).

And then I'd talk with someone if he doesn't stop doing it. He might as well as be C02ing your place..

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
How is the smell getting into your house? I think it would be time to replace your windows and seal all the way around the outside of your home if the fumes are getting into your home like that as that should never happen.

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Petrol fumes are harmful to birds and animals (and humans- although I've been playing with engines for decades and suffer no noticeable ill effects :)). As others have said. I'd be checking the seals on windows and doors (advantageous in winter anyway, to stop drafts) plus having words with that most inconsiderate neighbour.

KeroRocks

Feb 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Parrots
Sheldon-M- GCC |
Cooper -F--Yellow sided GCC | Dori -F- Blue Quaker | Marley -M- Sun Conure | Kero -M- Hahn's Macaw | Sam-M- CAG
|Yara -F- RFM | Boo -F- Red Rump parakeet
You can buy window shrink wrap. It's meant to keep drafts out in winter. You put it around the window then use a hair dryer to shrink it. Works great. To keep out winter air I'm sure it would keep out fumes.

Home depot or Lowes.

nyspy

Nov 5, 2013
Parrots
Pretty Birdy (BG Macaw)
Duke (BG Macaw)
Seal the windows. It makes a huge difference.

punkindave

Apr 9, 2013
Media
Albums
Bethlehem, PA
Parrots
Budgie Niles, Rascal RBC-2001, Jake "footloose" CAG-2015, Butchie Triton-1988, Neyteri "Chatterbox" CAG, and the "Squeak Squad" (4 Caiques) ScooterPie 8/12, Skittles 4/13, Chica 2006, Ringo 2009
You can buy window shrink wrap. It's meant to keep drafts out in winter. You put it around the window then use a hair dryer to shrink it. Works great. To keep out winter air I'm sure it would keep out fumes.

Home depot or Lowes.
I've used this stuff before, it works very well cutting down on drafts.

There are Hydrocarbon detectors used in industrial applications for OSHA compliance and arson investigations.
If you find someone to take some readings (your local fire dept may have the equipment), it could be something to use if it escalates to a court situation.

OP
Buzz2537

Buzz2537

Aug 16, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
How is the smell getting into your house? I think it would be time to replace your windows and seal all the way around the outside of your home if the fumes are getting into your home like that as that should never happen.

None of the other parts of the house were effected even the other bedroom on the same side of the house. The smell outside was extremely potent so the only thing I can think where he was using the gasoline was directly at Hahnna's window. His garage / work area is separate and away from his home and right on the property line so directly next to Hahnna's window . Our windows are great in the house, no drafts. He's working just too close to her window. I will have to do something to make sure it doesn't happen again.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots

Home depot or Lowes.

I have also used these stuffs before and they do work great! I would probably try that and see IF that's where the fumes are coming in from. If that is the case, your best bet is to leave it on all year long so no access to the window or replace the windows cause if it's from the windows it means the seals are worn out. I had all brand new windows put in at my house two years ago and what a difference they make.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
That's carbon monoxide, and it's poisonous to all living things in a high enough quantity. How is it getting in the house, from your neighbor's garage? If the windows are closed it shouldn't be.

That guy needs to do something about his dog...

I hate having to deal with those kinds of people!

OP
Buzz2537

Buzz2537

Aug 16, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
That's carbon monoxide, and it's poisonous to all living things in a high enough quantity. How is it getting in the house, from your neighbor's garage? If the windows are closed it shouldn't be.

That guy needs to do something about his dog...

I hate having to deal with those kinds of people!

We have a big piece of property but that side of our house is not that wide so the property line is very close. The people that owned the house before he moved in built a detached garage, and it is butted right on the property line so within feet of Hahnna's window. I am thinking that possibly he had a generator outside running to keep the garage warm, because sometimes he has people over and they sit out there drinking. I cannot really say because I did not see anything when I got home and smelled it, so I am just assuming. i would agree with you with the fact it should not come in through the windows, but we literally never even get a draft through them,but I remember during Hurricane Sandy when a lot of people had their generators running the smell was so strong. We never smelled it inside our home, so I am really thunking it was because it is literally almost right under her window. Either way my husband is going to go to Home Depot for what you guys were all mentioning and IF there is still an issue I will have a window guy come to see what he can do or put in. Thank God she is fine. i do not like the guy because he is just not considerate but as mad as I am I do not think he realized it was coming into that room. He is just stupid. Our other room the same side of the house was fine. It was only Hahnna's which was like I said directly within a few feet of the side of his garage. Thanks for posting back. i was really worried last night that something would happen to her. Elaine

OP
Buzz2537

Buzz2537

Aug 16, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
And yeah the dog thing is a big issue. It seems like a lot of neighborhoods have the same issues with dogs running loose. I do Yorkie rescue and have eight with me and NONE have ever gotten put or ran off. It is upsetting to me because we are like prisoners with them. i cannot even walk them safely for fear of a dog running loose and attacking them. A friend has the same issue up north where she lives. She was walking a friends little black mix and a big dog ran out and attacked her and the poor dog. The dog survived but needed multiple surgeries. I just do not get it.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Don't you guys have leash laws??? Is that dog on a leash? If lose and threaten to attack then you should report them to ASPCA and such places. Unfortunately I had to do that once with two pit bulls that batk and carrying on every time I walked my dogs down the street and they were loose. I called and complained for several years before they finally did something after I dialled 911 because they jumped my chihuahua attempting to kill him and I picked up a 4x4 laying by the road and I screamed so loud and went after them with the stick and they ran. I told the cop I've been complaining about them for several years and they did nothing. I said are they waiting for an accident to happen before they do something? I said they're dangerous and it could of been a child. They were both taken few days later.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
And also check with your local codes department as certain areas must have a garage built a certain distance from the property line. If they were turned in they would have to remove the garage.

OP
Buzz2537

Buzz2537

Aug 16, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
And also check with your local codes department as certain areas must have a garage built a certain distance from the property line. If they were turned in they would have to remove the garage.

If it gets out of hand I will. I don't look to cause trouble. The dumb ass probably never gave it a thought. I will talk to him and try to explain nicely about how his garage is so close to her room and what happened and maybe if he could at least move whatever he is using away from her window so it dos not kill her. We will see hiw good it does. Last year he had my poor son up at night with his drinking buddies in there so late when the poor kid had to get up at 5:30 for school in the morning. i don't mind weekend parties. I basically live and let live until it effects my animals or my kids. Me I don't care about. Thanks. :)

OP
Buzz2537

Buzz2537

Aug 16, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
Don't you guys have leash laws??? Is that dog on a leash? If lose and threaten to attack then you should report them to ASPCA and such places. Unfortunately I had to do that once with two pit bulls that batk and carrying on every time I walked my dogs down the street and they were loose. I called and complained for several years before they finally did something after I dialled 911 because they jumped my chihuahua attempting to kill him and I picked up a 4x4 laying by the road and I screamed so loud and went after them with the stick and they ran. I told the cop I've been complaining about them for several years and they did nothing. I said are they waiting for an accident to happen before they do something? I said they're dangerous and it could of been a child. They were both taken few days later.

Oh yeah we do have leash laws but they do bot really enforce them. Seems like they are not enforced anywhere anymore. i read other states too have the same issues. A lot of my rescue friends tell me the same. It is a shame about the Pit bulls. They are very capable of being great dogs unfortunately it is the a holes that get a hold of them and make them into monsters either through lack of training, training for the wrong purpose or just pure neglect. I just choose to play with my dogs in the yard or I will take them one at a time to the park where others walk their dogs for the same reason.

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Pit bulls and American Bull Terriers are banned in several jurisdictions (not sure if at state or local/shire level) in Oz, and while attacks still occur, in general, "leash laws" are enforced since several children have keen killed in recent years. In fact, some owners of dangerous dogs have gone to prison for not securing their animals.

With boundary laws, there are minima in this country, varies over different local govt areas (as blocks are getting very small in the major cities) but in general terms it's one metre. I'm a bit worried about our retirement setup in Tasmania, as I read the regs for the local town council having aviaries 6 metres from the boundaries- the block is only 19 metres wide... I guess I'll have them in the middle in the remaining 6-7 metres.

If the garage in question is too close to the boundary, Buzz, as Mikey has suggested, it might have to be removed. It could be too that it was never approved. All such structures (i.e. permanent ones, including garden sheds on a concrete slab) have to have their plans approved at the local govt level before erection or construction. The shed at my previous house was pretty dodgy- but I didn't have it replaced because it had been placed very close to two boundaries- a new one would have either been very small, or moved to another location in a small backyard, if shire council said it needed to me one metre from fences.

OP
Buzz2537

Buzz2537

Aug 16, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
Yeah. I see a lot of bans on the Pitbulls. I have been doing rescue the past 18 or so years, mainly Yorkies. My feelings on the Pitbull breed is that owning one as a pet, should have to meet the same requirements as owning a gun, back ground check and permit and if you have a criminal record then your ownership is denied. Secondly, at this point in time I truly feel that breeding this breed should be illegal. The shelters are flooded with purebred Pitties, puppies as well as adults and most are automatically eithanozed which to me is a shame. The breed is not the problem it is the irresponsible people getting their hands on them. I do firmly believe that they as well as other more dominant breed owners should be made to take a training course with the dog as a requirement for ownership. The truth of the matter is that smaller breed dogs, are more likely to bite than the bigger breeds, the only difference is they will not kill anyone when they do. There is really good and bad in all breeds and species of animals, but nothing that can not be prevented or corrected with proper training, patience and love.

Thank you everyone for your kind advice.

Elaine and Hahnna.

Last edited:

Most Reactions