Gave the cat a bath and lived to tell about it!

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
My older kitty, Draven, has diabetes and has been looking pretty dandruffy and like he could really just use a bath. He's never been one to groom excessively, and the diabetes just seems to make his coat worse. He absolutely hates to get wet. But today I decided that he just had to have a bath. I was smart enough to first give him a nail trim. Then into the sink he went. I had some oatmeal pet shampoo, figured that might help his dry looking skin/coat. He threw a fit the whole time of course, thrashing around screaming like he was being murdered, etc. I somehow avoided any injury though! Poor "D", he's not "speaking" to me right now, he's hiding in the other room.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
LOL! I used to give my cats baths. It's a dangerous job!

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
awww rio!!! how could you poor D lol i'm sure he'll come around when its dinner time :)

OP
Rio Mom

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/

Rest in Peace Rio
awww rio!!! how could you poor D lol i'm sure he'll come around when its dinner time :)

Oh yeah! I can give him insulin shots, draw his blood for glucose testing, give him a bath, etc. But if he hears that treat box shake, food hit the bowl, or a tuna can open, all is forgiven lol.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I had a black kitten who used to come in the shower with me... He obviously didn't know that cats don't like water... lol... He'd be soaking wet, before we were finished...

melinda

Aug 10, 2011
TN
Parrots
5 year old cockatoo Chloe and 3 year old sun conure Joe Joe
Khloe 15 year old orange wing amazon
I have two cats and both get baths at least every two weeks. Sophie has always enjoyed them and will jump in the tub with me and play in the water. Sassy whom i adopted about a month ago has been declawed on front (poor baby). She screams then purrs while getting hers. But i have helped family with theirs and come out looking like i ran through a barb wire fence.

Mamanda

Oct 17, 2011
Media
Central Oregon (Paradise!)
Parrots
Keen: female, YSGCC & Opi: male, Pied Cockatiel & Milo: male, Timneh African Grey
has been looking pretty dandruffy and like he could really just use a bath. He's never been one to groom excessively, and the diabetes just seems to make his coat worse.

Have you tried Fish Oil? I get some from a local specialty pet store for my dogs. Two of my dogs have very, very dry skin. I put a squirt of that on their food and it totally helps (and they LOVE it). I've seen the same kind, for cats too.
Anyway ... just thought about that when I read about the dandruff on your kitty.
Also ... I think it's wonderful you are helping your kitty through diabetes. Not only are some owners not willing, but some animals aren't willing either. My in-laws had a yellow lab with diabetes and they treated her for many years before she got old and passed on. It takes a LOT of dedication to treat an animal with that type of chronic disease. Your kitty is very lucky!

OP
Rio Mom

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/

Rest in Peace Rio
has been looking pretty dandruffy and like he could really just use a bath. He's never been one to groom excessively, and the diabetes just seems to make his coat worse.

Have you tried Fish Oil? I get some from a local specialty pet store for my dogs. Two of my dogs have very, very dry skin. I put a squirt of that on their food and it totally helps (and they LOVE it). I've seen the same kind, for cats too.
Anyway ... just thought about that when I read about the dandruff on your kitty.
Also ... I think it's wonderful you are helping your kitty through diabetes. Not only are some owners not willing, but some animals aren't willing either. My in-laws had a yellow lab with diabetes and they treated her for many years before she got old and passed on. It takes a LOT of dedication to treat an animal with that type of chronic disease. Your kitty is very lucky!

Thanks, I will have to give the fish oil a try. Although I'm sure if you asked Draven, he would request his fish oil to come in the form of actual fish! lol. When we took him to the vet in June to find out why he was losing weight, amongst other symptoms, diabetes was the "best" of all the possible "it could bes". (other possibilities were cancer, kidney failure but he didn't have either of those thank God) We seem to finally be getting his glucose level under control. He's gained back weight he lost, seems to look like he feels better, he was even chasing Polly around a bit playing yesterday and rolling on his back for a belly pat. (he hadn't done either of those things in quite a while). He tolerates getting his shots pretty well. Doesn't really put up too much of a fuss other than sometimes just trying to walk away from me. The "here's your shot" followed by "here's your treat" seems to help. :)

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I think fish oil is a good idea too! It's excellent for skin, and lots of other stuff. Be careful when you buy it though; there are a lot of irreputable companies that sell overly processed fish oil that don't do much. My mom takes krill oil, and has good luck with it.

OP
Rio Mom

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/

Rest in Peace Rio
Actually, I have been thinking about taking fish oil for myself too. It's supposedly supposed to be good for lowering cholesterol and mine has been lingering at "borderline" for a while now.

Most Reactions

Latest posts