OP
PipnMe

PipnMe

Jul 21, 2017
PA
Parrots
Pip the Pineapple GCC
Hatch Date: May 20, 2017
Very true Skittles. Although I think "no reaction" may be the wrong way of putting it as I know I was confused by that at first and in other places I've seen it where people do literally nothing. I think more "react calmly" is the way to do it, so the time-out method where you're calm and collected. Even if you put them down then after go give yourself a minute although I feel a bird shouldn't bite hard if trained properly. I find bite training to be as much training the human as the bird (any training really) by which I mean the human has to teach the bird that a beak is okay but when the bird is upset or grumpy or whatever they don't need to go full force to let us know. Rio was taught that a light nip got me to understand and he only chomped me once which was whilst he was in the middle of a complete panic and thought he was going to die which I feel is an acceptable situation to bite. They need to know when they can use the beak so Rio learnt very quickly, beak for play, nip for telling me off, bite for being terrified. Like I say, as much a learning experience for them as for you.

Good to hear your little guy has calmed down, they get it pretty quickly dont they? You should be lucky you didn't have to deal with the process I had with Rio! He was a parent-reared practically wild bird, having been first netted when he fledged and the grabbed with a glove before he came home with me so it was a long process to calm him. Once he was tame you wouldn't have believed he wasn't hand-reared

Yes, he has really calmed down a lot, although he is testing out his limits. I only had to place him on the floor twice today which is a HUGE improvement. Smart little things! I admire you for getting your Rio and training him like you did. Did it take long?

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Great to hear there's an improvement in "Pip". They are incredibly smart and incredibly effective at making us look stupid. I had actually gotten a wood-like screen (kind of like a scroll) to close off the kitchen so Skittles couldn't go in. But the screen had about a 1/2" to an inch of an opening and the little stink flew down onto the floor, under the screen and onto my shoulder. I tried several other tactics too and both times I was outsmarted. I just gave up. It's pretty bad when a small bundle of feathers can easily make you look like a blithering idiot.

He will actually bug me like crazy for a treat and then I give him one and he's happy. But then I get back up to go to the bathroom, for example, and he drops his treat and follows me instead. It's like being with daddy is the MOST important thing to him.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts