Gender & Behavior Differences in GCC's?

JennyB

Mar 27, 2013
Northern Utah
Parrots
Cockatiel - Sunshine - 1990-2014; YSGC Conure - Jellybean - 11 months; Turquoise GC Conure - Jasper - Hatched 1/14
I've been doing a happy dance all day!!! We got the call to go down to meet/choose our baby Turquoise on Wednesday!!! Since Jellybean is our 1 and only gc, I don't have anyone to compare her behavior to... we call her a SHE simply because she's snuggly/lovey, and when she snuggles, she backs up against your neck, hand, leg, whatever she can get to... she even naps in my hand, laying back on her side. (Don't get me wrong, she loves to rough-house too).

Anyway, I was reading on a GC Blog, that females are more likely to have pink feet (hogwash?) and when they stand, they stand with their feet close together, while males tend to stand with their feet farther apart (again, hogwash???). That's just what I read... don't shoot the messenger!!!

So, any other observations about the behavior differences/tendencies of males and females? Or is it really just individual personality differences in gc's, regardless of gender? Just curious... I have no intention of EVER breeding our birds and will not encourage it, and really don't care if we get a male or female, just want something playful and snuggly, not aggressive...

jennyb-albums-jellybean-picture11464-daylight-savings-she-s-exhausted.jpg

Daylight Savings Sucks!!!

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Hi and congrats on her! She looks like such a doll! :D Anyways, I don't think the pink on the feet is true! Most normal colored ( Not fancy colored) GCC have black feet and obviously they are not all boys! :) And with the spread out feet I heard it was girls who have there legs farther apart... Really I don't think that GCC are the type where you can tell the sex by looking at them. DNA testing is what you need! Also the pelvic bone on the females are wider then the males. But young males will have far apart pelvic bones!

OP
JennyB

JennyB

Mar 27, 2013
Northern Utah
Parrots
Cockatiel - Sunshine - 1990-2014; YSGC Conure - Jellybean - 11 months; Turquoise GC Conure - Jasper - Hatched 1/14
Thank you! And that's what I figured! We chose Jellybean because she was just so sweet and cuddly from the very first, so I guess that's what we'll base our decision on this time... ignoring feet color and how they stand! The breeder assured us that even if we did end up with a male & female, the odds of them mating is very unlikely! We'll just keep our fingers crossed! :)

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
If you keep them in separate cages it is more unlikely. My two would bond and then breed like rabbits if I caged them together! They are close and would easily become a pair if I allowed them to get any more bonded then they are already.

If you can I would get a DNA test just to be sure. It's nice to know if you will have to look out for any egg issues if its a female. Though a bit hypocritical of me since I haven't gotten Monkey DNA tested.... if she was anything but female I'd be really surprised. She does the nesting, presenting to my DNA tested male, and she is much quieter/smaller. I guess when she lays an egg I'll now for sure:) I keep looking at her butt to make sure she doesn't have one in there because she's been so bad this year.

OP
JennyB

JennyB

Mar 27, 2013
Northern Utah
Parrots
True! Our plan is to cage them separately to begin with, and then just take it from there depending on how well they get along... It would probably be easier in the long run if we knew, one way or the other, right from the get-go. Jelly gave me a little scare this morning and I weighed her, 60 g., thinking I was going to be making a trip to the vet (false alarm, just overly sleepy from daylight savings). Which seems kinda small to me, but adding to my beliefs that she really is a she! :)

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
Yeah Monkey usually weighs around 56. She is really tiny but don't let that fool you she will kick your butt faster then any other bird in the house! Well maybe not Folger...

OP
JennyB

JennyB

Mar 27, 2013
Northern Utah
Parrots
Holy Cow! That is TINY!!! But yes, it's the little ones you gotta look at for... kids, dogs, birds, donkeys...!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts