General Questions

Jammin31

Apr 15, 2012
Hi Everyone,

Im new to birdkeeping and have decided after weeks of research to get myself a GCC. As im new to them i wondered if someone could give me some basics to keeping them along with any tips.

Ive been offered a baby from a reputable breeder aged approx 4 weeks old but im concerned this is to young but at the same time i really want a tame affectionate pet that i can spend alot of time with so thought handrearing is best to ensure its as tame as i want.

Any Advice In General Please ?

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots
JJ-sun conure hatched roughly 1/16/2012

Cinderella-white and blue female budgie hatched 4/08/12

Rigby-white and blue male budgie hatched 5/05/2012
All I can say is do not take the baby unweaned you do not want to have to handfeedings a baby seeing as your new to birds. Birds won't bond stronger to the handfeeder either. I would wait until the baby is fully weaned onto a pellet diet.

OP
J

Jammin31

Apr 15, 2012
Ok, so can you tell me at what age i should get one in order for it to be as tame as possible ?

Any other tips or advice regarding Conures would be much appreciated from anyone on here.

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots
JJ-sun conure hatched roughly 1/16/2012

Cinderella-white and blue female budgie hatched 4/08/12

Rigby-white and blue male budgie hatched 5/05/2012
We got our sun conure and she was 9 weeks old and fully weaned.

I would just make sure you find a breeder that you are comfortable with. Make sure you know what the baby will be weaned onto so you can have some ready and waiting for your baby.

In regards to taming not really sure every bird is different. For our sun she was pretty comfortable stepping up from the day after we got her and it just got easier and easier as time went on (we've had her for a month now). To the point where as soon as my hand goes in if she wants to come out she just hops on and waits for me to bring her out.

Everyone has different ideas that work in regards to taming and bonding with their birds. I would suggest getting the book Parrots for Dummies. I know quite a few people who have the book and like it, I have the book and have read it a few times.

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
Jammin, as long as they are hand raised, handled regularly (not just fed and plonked back in the cage as some less then stellar breeders seem to do, but interacted with and played with) and have a positive association with people I would not worry about age too much :) As long as they are 100% weaned (unless you know how to, or are going to learn how to handfeed prior to bringing a chick home) and have been well so******ed and handled, they should be easy to tame once they settle in. Varied from bird to bird though :p They might be a bit shocked with a move to a new place and take awhile to 'come out of their shell'. If you want a young bird, that is fine, just make sure he or she is weaned first and eating on his/her own! :) But don't rule out older birds. Well handled and well cared for/tame adults make just as good pets!

Just go look around and don't feel like you have to have the first one you see or the first one offered to you. :) I used to think this was stupid 'crazy parrot people talk' but there is a LOT of truth in letting a bird pick you and not vice versa (when it comes to this situation anyway, rescue is another thing entirely). Some birds will just like you straight up, others not so much and you will have to win them over. Originally I wanted an ekkie but never really 'clicked' with the ones I met/looked at. But when I met baby Alex (Naked and pink at that time!) my conure and his siblings and had him crawl all over me, I knew he was the one I was bringing home :) I hand reared him myself from 7/8 weeks (jendays wean at 9-12 anyway) because his breeder fell ill, but I do not think that would have made our bond any more or any less stronger. You make strong bonds with birds over time, it's not an instant thing.

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
That is not a good breeder if they let you take one home unweaned, especially since you don't know how to handfeed. Babies bond stronger to someone who doesn't handfeed them because they look at the person who is handfeeding them as their parent and as soon as the baby hits maturity they will want to find someone else to be their mate. You can get the baby as soon as he/she is weaned for at least 1 week. And I would advise you to find a different breeder because they aren't good breeders if they let their babies go unweaned to someone who doesn't know how to handfeed.

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
At 7 weeks you should be fine to take it home! It should be off formula by week 8 unless there are issues and if not ready to take home, you should be able to spoon feed it by then. Discuss this with the breeder. If you do spoon feed it for a week or so , it will be a very good bonding experience. You just need to be very responsible about it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts