Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
OMG

Someone please explain this to me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How does a vet, with no avian qualifications charge so much more than a qualified Avian vet?

I AM TOTALLY LOST FOR WORDS....

Today out of curiosity I popped into a vet, less than a kilometer from where we live. Even though we have lived here for 5 years never been there before. I befriended the receptionist, we began chatting about birds. I asked if the vet was a qualified veterinarian, was told no, but she is very good with birds, and is a guardian to an AG.
I then asked what "Michelle" the vet, charges for clipping wings and the trimming of nails. R200.00

General Veterinarian

I converted the South African Rand to the US Dollar

1 USD = 7.8291 ZAR R200.00

United States Dollar South African Rand

Mishka and I travel 60 kilometers to the vet. The rooms are in a very posh area, in the Northern Suburbs. Dr Brett is the most qualified and respected veterinarian in South Africa. He takes his time, answering any questions, always giving great advise.

For the clipping wings and the trimming of nails, Brett only charges R85.00

Qualified Avian Veterinarian
I converted the South African Rand to the US Dollar

1 ZAR = 0.1277 USD R85.00
South African Rand United States Dollar

Hopefully my conversion is correct, not 100% sure.

:grey:

Last edited:

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I guess any vet can charge what they want to. Some more than others.

Last edited by a moderator:

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
I'm confused as to what you mean by "Qualified" or "Unqualified" Vet Is that the difference between a Spe******t and a General Vet? Or a General Vet vs an Avian/Exotic/Reptile specific Vet?

Can I just lol for a moment at the fact that you apparently can't type S p e c i a l i s t ??? Really?

Last edited:
OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I'm confused as to what you mean by "Qualified" or "Unqualified" Vet Is that the difference between a Spe******t and a General Vet? Or a General Vet vs an Avian/Exotic/Reptile specific Vet?

Yipe - General Vet versus Avian Vet $$$$$

Sorry... have changed the title accordingly Thanks

Last edited:

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)

Ah! Okay. I wasn't sure if that's a South African term or me just being not "with" it. Yeah, Vet's do tend to charge what they want; I can go to one Gen Vet and get my Onyx's yearly screenings and vaccines done for less than $200, and another vet in the area would charge $300. Sometimes Independent Vet's charge more because they can't get the same discounts as those involved with a chain (There's 2 "Chain" Vet clinics nationwide, VCA and Banfield) because the Chain's buy everything in bulk and then distribute it to their various locations whereas an Independent Vet has to pay the higher cost for the lower quantity, if that makes sense (it does and yet it doesn't). Personally, I choose to go to Independent Vets, even for my dog because I find that their care is much more personable, it's not about getting more $$ out of you for services that they convince you your pet needs when they really don't. Banfield is notorious for that!

I'd stick with your Avian vet. It may be farther, but not only are they cheaper, they're more experience with birds ;)

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old

Ah! Okay. I wasn't sure if that's a South African term or me just being not "with" it. Yeah, Vet's do tend to charge what they want; I can go to one Gen Vet and get my Onyx's yearly screenings and vaccines done for less than $200, and another vet in the area would charge $300. Sometimes Independent Vet's charge more because they can't get the same discounts as those involved with a chain (There's 2 "Chain" Vet clinics nationwide, VCA and Banfield) because the Chain's buy everything in bulk and then distribute it to their various locations whereas an Independent Vet has to pay the higher cost for the lower quantity, if that makes sense (it does and yet it doesn't). Personally, I choose to go to Independent Vets, even for my dog because I find that their care is much more personable, it's not about getting more $$ out of you for services that they convince you your pet needs when they really don't. Banfield is notorious for that!

I'd stick with your Avian vet. It may be farther, but not only are they cheaper, they're more experience with birds ;)

I never took my human kids to an unqualified doctor, the same goes for Mishka. No matter how far Brett is, I would travel that distance for Mishka's well being.
What boggles my mind is what the General vet is charging, with much less experience, than an Avian Vet. They are ripping the people off.
No wonder so many people are not taking their birds as often as they should
:eek:

Most Reactions